How much flow is too much?

ReefJunky

Premium Member
How much flow should there be going on inside the tank? Obviously there's lots of variables such as aquascaping, types of coral, pump placement, etc etc, but I've been wondering if I'm using too much flow? Tank is 36x 18x18 and I have a mix of corals throughout and im currently using two MP10s set on reefcrest with max potential (that's my uncertainty). They are offset a couple inches both up and down as well as left to right. I haven't noticed any issues so part of me says to leave it alone, but figured id get some of you alls opinions on wether or not they might need to be turned down. Thx
terehe5a.jpg
alt="">

Placement is more important than tank flow, or flow where the corals are.

Primarily with LPS corals, SPS can take a lot of current so long as a powerhead isn't pointed right at it. LPS's can simply be positioned in low flow areas. Too much flow is when your sandbed won't stay put, which is a major benefit to a bare bottom tank. For softies, LPS 10-20x turnover is too much. 10X you can put most corals anywhere in your tank, selective at 15 and only a few locations at 20x. Of course LPS's is flow dependent on type but brains and bubble coral types can't handle too much flow.