Hooterhead's Lagoon

hooterhead

Sponsor
Wow. Can't believe I'm doing this. It's been a looooong time since I've even thought about doing a build thread. If you don't know me, I'm Brandon. I've been living the very overworked/under appreciated life of a fish store employee since late 2004. What started as a cool college job turned into a freaking bottomless obsession. My personal tanks have always had a "Frankentank" vibe about them. They were built with whatever I had lying around at the time and they weren't usually pretty as a whole, but dammit, they worked.

So, it's time for me to build one for myself. I've been planning and thinking and changing those plans and thinking and changing more plans for years. I got the tank from a good friend for a steal and it had never seen water. 27x24x20 Neo Nano style rimless... almost exactly what I had been planning for. So I pulled the trigger and here we are, two months later and starting a cycle.

Here is what I have decided to go with.
Tank - DSA 50 gallon rimless
Stand/canopy - Flex carpentry muscles
Sump - Trigger Systems 18x18x15 Refugium
Skimmer - Reef Octopus NW - 110
Lighting - Lumenbrite Reflector with 175 w XM 20K on a Lumatek Variable ballast. 2x Truelumen Pro Actinic LED strips.
Flow - Mag 5 Return. For now 3 Koralia 425's on a 3 way wave timer. Soon MP 10s...

A couple of different things I am incorporating into this system ...

My "refugium" will be a benthic zone with no light over it. Sponges, tunicates, and other various filter feeders will do the work that algaes normally fulfill. I have used one of these set-ups on a previous system and they work very well. The downside is that they do take a bit longer to get going. They tend to develop much more interesting inhabitants though.

Also, I'll be stocking this with many of my favorite tiny species. Those of you who know me know that I love small aquariums and all of the tiny interesting things that usually inhabit them. My goal here is to bring the same concept of tiny fish but to a larger aquarium. So, I might not see every fish every day. And I may have to work a bit to even see most of them, but that's half the fun to me. I get so tired of aquariums that have no surprises. I get bored with tanks that you can find everything in it within 10 minutes. My coral stocklist will be made up mostly of zoanthids and SPS. There are a few LPS and a leather I can't bring myself to get rid of that will be going in as well.

There are still a few kinks to work out. With all I do at the store, there is very little time or energy left to work on this so I still have some bugs to sort out. I'm having doors built (soon) and still haven't figured my electrical out quite yet. I don't want to go with power strips like normal. But didn't measure for DJ strips so they don't really fit anywhere. I also don't like having to go through a menu on a controller to turn my return pump off. So, I'll have to make a decision soon. All of my current livestock is in my 20 long still and will be moved over once my cycle is done.

Enough of that, I suppose it's time for pictures!!!

Hey Brandon, good to see you start a build thread. I always wondered if store employees ran systems at home after being surrounded by the stuff all day. You helped me out at a the store a few times when I was there. I was the guy buying the aquatic life mounts when you were showing me how they worked and a fixture fell into one of the display tanks.

Looking good there and will be curious to see what ends up growing in the fuge.

Looking good so far. You should rethink having a controller, you can control everything now from a computer or even your phone so no scrolling through menu pages anymore. [smilie=smile.gif]

Cheers,

+1 on the controller. It's worth the extra time. I also just recently hooked it up to the Internet from my iPhone. It took a lot of reading to figure out how to do it. But now it's awesome to be able to connect to my tank from anywhere in the world.

Well, livestock has gone in. I had an issue with the ac at home and had to emergency move everyone to the store from the 20 gallon. And once the issue was "fixed" they all went into the 50. Made for some pretty weak SPS coloration, but overall everyone looks good.

I also picked up a couple of new gems. A Painted Blenny (Escenius pictus for any of you fish nerds) and a Zanzibar coral banded shrimp. Luckily the Painted is still getting along with the Tailspot blenny I've got. I'm a bit concerned about fighting but so far so good.

So, overall stocklist at this point is....
Painted Blenny
Tailspot Blenny
Aurora Shrimp goby and Randalli Pistol Shrimp
Mottled Jawfish
Target Mandarin
Zanzibar Coral Banded
Pom-Pom Crab
Corals

Future plans....
Barred Convict Goby (Priolepis nocturnus)
Pair of Dragon Faced Pipefish
Trio of Anthias - Species TBD
More corals
and that is all that's planned so far as far as livestock goes.

I would post pictures but Robert has the camera in Indonesia at the moment so that'll have to wait until next week.

Oh, and I've decided against a controller. While I agree with the points you all make, I don't like them for my set-up and situation. So, a DJ power strip it is!

Stay tuned because this is about to get crazy...

Great set up, I really like your rock placement. Great choice of fish. I really love mandarins but they are very hard to keep... I will be following!

Just got back from vacation. There are definitely some new additions... some will be made today.... and pictures will hopefully happen this evening after work as well.

Flavoguttatus anthias - a week in and doing GREAT!
Acros
And zoas

Ok ok ok... here they are. It might be 1:30 am but I got a few good ones. This is also gonna be a bit of a growth and color tracker as well, so I'm going to put pics of most of my corals on here. There are a lot now and the lights went out on me. I have at least 20 or so to go. These were taken with the store's Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 point and shoot. Some came out a bit blurry as it's tough to keep an arm hanging down into a tank steady, but I love this waterproof camera. Takes the glare factor out completely!

IGNORE THE ALGAE. YOU DON'T SEE THE ALGAE. IT'S NOT THERE I PROMISE. Well, that's what I keep telling my lazy self.

Full tank first
065.jpg
alt="">
067.jpg
alt="">
070.jpg
alt="">
066.jpg
alt="">
068.jpg
alt="">
071.jpg
alt="">
072.jpg
alt="">

And here are the start of the corals...

064.jpg
alt="">
063.jpg
alt="">
062.jpg
alt="">
060.jpg
alt="">
059.jpg
alt="">
057.jpg
alt="">
056.jpg
alt="">
055.jpg
alt="">
054.jpg
alt="">
053.jpg
alt="">
052.jpg
alt="">
051.jpg
alt="">
050.jpg
alt="">
049.jpg
alt="">
048.jpg
alt="">
047.jpg
alt="">
046.jpg
alt="">

Mas...

045.jpg
alt="">
044.jpg
alt="">
043.jpg
alt="">
042.jpg
alt="">
041.jpg
alt="">
040.jpg
alt="">
039.jpg
alt="">
038.jpg
alt="">
037.jpg
alt="">
036.jpg
alt="">
035.jpg
alt="">
034.jpg
alt="">
033.jpg
alt="">
032.jpg
alt="">
031.jpg
alt="">
030.jpg
alt="">
029.jpg
alt="">
028.jpg
alt="">
027.jpg
alt="">

Last ones for tonight. Hope you all enjoy!

026.jpg
alt="">
024.jpg
alt="">
023.jpg
alt="">
019.jpg
alt="">
021.jpg
alt="">
073.jpg
alt="">
Starting to see quite a bit of life in the benthic zone!
074.jpg
alt="">
075.jpg
alt="">

Looks great Brandon you sure do have some fantastic looks coral in there.
I stayed up till about midnight waiting for pics and fell a sleep.
Steve [smilie=clapping.gif]

Thanks for the pics your tank is beautiful I like the clean sleek look of the aquarium