Home made canopy

[I have had this 58gal tank sitting around cycled for months now, and could not figure out what I wanted to do with it, or what kind of lighting I wanted to put on it. Then, I ran across a deal on a 175w MH, complete for very little bucks. Kewl, now I have lights, but how to get them up there? So, sitting around bored, and inspired by all the people out there that built their own canopys, I decided to give it a go myself.

Be kind with the criticism, because woodworking is not one of my strong suits!

Frame is built out of 1/2" X 1" boards. Skin is 1/4" Louanne Plywood. 30" piano hinge to hinge the top to the frame. Canopy is 11" tall, and sits 1 1/2" down on the top of the tank. The light is approximately 7 1/2" from the water surface. Used white acrylic appliance paint in the inside, and colonial pine stain for the exterior.
I left the back completely open, and so far, with the light on for 9 hours today, there was no significant water tempature change. But if it should occur, I have plenty of space to put a fan.

Obviously, I need to throw a couple of PCs in the mix to get it where I want it to be. But at least now I can start adding something into the tank!!! WooHoo...another reason to spend money! :eyebrows:

canopy1.jpg
alt="">

canopy2.jpg
alt="">

canopy3.jpg
alt="">]

[Doc, it looks superb! Excellent work.

I look forward to seeing what's under it in the near future. :shifty:]