Herbie Method

I have two 1.5" drains on my aquarium and two 3/4" returns. As I'm in the process of redoing my filtration I have decided to use the herbie method for my overflow. I have a question. Does the ball valve have to be on the vertical part of the one drain? The reason I ask, is that I would rather put the valve after a 90 degree elbow so its easier for me to adjust instead of reaching behind the aquarium. Let me know if you have tried this or if that will work.

Thanks

they typically recommend avoiding elbows to cut down on the noise ... a pair of 45's may work better .. also, do a gate valve ... it makes your life so much more pleasant when dialing it in

I am using 2 90s and 2 45s on mine and it is dead silent. Here is a pic.
[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403109837.896679.jpg[/attachment]

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

@Carabelli wrote:
they typically recommend avoiding elbows to cut down on the noise ... a pair of 45's may work better .. also said:
Ok, maybe I will delay the plumbing and get a couple 45's. I don't want to hear any gurgling.

@Eckolancer wrote:
I am using 2 90s and 2 45s on mine and it is dead silent. Here is a pic. [attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403109837.896679.jpg[/attachment] Sent from pay phone in the airport. said:
Very nice. Thanks for the pic. I will have to get some 45's to see if I can get them to work.

Is your setup the bean animal?

Looks like with the tight configuration I have 45's will not work. I don't have much room to work with. Just did a dry fit with 1/2" pvc to see the angles. Hopefully I don't get too much noise.

I am sure it will be fine .. another option to consider would be spaflex ... I used that on mine where I had tight angles and it worked very well ..

@mtraylor wrote:
[I]@Eckolancer wrote:[/I][quote="I am using 2 90s and 2 45s on mine and it is dead silent. Here is a pic. [attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403109837.896679.jpg[/attachment] Sent from pay phone in the airport. said:
Very nice. Thanks for the pic. I will have to get some 45's to see if I can get them to work.

Is your setup the bean animal?"]

Oh yes sorry. But did same thing on herbie. I did how ever have to get the pipe that entered the water at perfect hight and water movement otherwise it was gurgling or splashing. Also try to add an easy removal pipe that you can cut to size as needed. Like a thread about 5" from waterline.

I found a way to get the 45's to work. I just glued them together to make a long 90.

Carabelli I took your advice on the gate valve as well. That was another $60 to the pile, but now I see what you mean. You can really control the flow with this thing. I will start plumbing tomorrow.

@mtraylor wrote:
I found a way to get the 45's to work. I just glued them together to make a long 90. Carabelli I took your advice on the gate valve as well. That was another $60 to the pile said:
This is what I've done as well, and works well.

Thanks for all tips. Got it installed and all I have to say is......WOW!

Now this is quite. Its night and day over dorso's. No comparison. The best thing I like about it, is that it eliminates ALL bubbles from the return. I'm impressed.