Help with metal halides...

Misty

Membership Expired
[Any good DIY'ers in the North Dallas area that know how to wire an Icecap Ballast? I have wires out the wazoo and seems that I'm short some connectors or something. There are fans involved as well. Everything is kind of "pre-wired" but like I said, the wiring diagram doesn't make sense with what I have (bought it already retrofit into a canopy, etc.).

I've gotten pretty good at plumbing, but this electrical stuff is about to blow my fuse! :taz:

I've got a rock with ricordea on it for the one who can help rescue my tank from the dark side...]

[That ballast should have come with a booklet as well, with several wiring configurations. I needed it when I was wiring my IceCap 430 with 3 VHO bulbs, and I'll be using it again when I switch mine to 1 bulb (or maybe 2) when I finally install my MH lights!

I can't offer to help with something I've never done myself.]

[Thanks Marc and Duane...

A guy that works for me used to work at Fish Oasis and Aquarium Environments so I explained what I had to him today and he was able to talk me through it. After a quick trip to Lowe's on the way home, I have light! Now just have to add the fans...

Gotta say that I love these halides!!! And I only have one out of two hooked up (going from 260W PC and NO to 500 halide...hoping to add some retrofit PC actinics too). Hey, maybe I can get my first acro frag out of out next raffle! :p]

[Misty, I'm looking forward to installing my own as well. I bought a setup months ago, but never had the necessary cable and didn't want to hardwire (rig) it.

I got email confirmation today that my cords are in transit. Hopefully in the next week I'll have them installed FINALLY!]

[Misty let me know when your fully up and running, ill hook you up with some nice pieces. Also beware, this heat will effect your tank indoors. I came home tuesday to 85F in my tank. I ended up turning one of my 2 fans to always be on at all times instead of just when the lites are on, this seems to have worked. Good luck to you Halides make it very possible to have the sort of SPS reef you see pictures of in the ocean :)]

[Thanks for the frag offer, Nick. Hopefully I can return the favor.

I'm only running my MH right now 5-7 hours in the evening since my kids aren't used to that much light (the fish are looking for sunglasses, I swear! :cool: ). Ramping up to a full 12-hour photoperiod over the next couple of days and next week I'll add in the 2nd 250w on a separate plug to break that in over the course of the week...hopefully it will cool down by the time I get all of the watts up to the full 12 hours. I keep the house at 78 during the day and down to 72 at night, and the tank is in a room with 2 fans on full blast. So far, so good. And the sump is in the dark as well, so that helps.

I've also managed to tear apart my power compact fixture in order to retrofit 110w worth of actinics in the canopy. I think I'll hit Lowe's for some kind of wire/insulating cover and a box for the ballast, since all of this had been part of a fixture and I don't want to break any codes, have a big fire in my house, etc. But, I plugged it in for a test and it works. :idea:]

[Misty you can easily get away with 2 hours actinics, 10 hours actinics and Halides and then 2 hours actinics. It helps keep the tank temperature from getting too high. I know at my place this 109 F is trying my patience.]

[Misty,

Not sure how big your canopy is but if you put 2 4" fans on each side of your canopy one pulling in and one pushing air in this will help keep things cool. That is if you do not have a glass canopy. I have 2 400W and 6 T5's on my 215 and my temp never gets above 79.8 degrees. I came home either Tuesday or Wed when it hit the 110 mark and my house was 85 inside but my tank was holding steady and 79. Water evap cooling is the way to go if you have the RO unit to replace the water evap. You can also add a fan and put it underneath on your sump. I also use a turbo fan below and have it running on my ballast to my 400w to keep the heat away it generates.]

[catfisf, I have read that the one in and one out method only works well if your canopy is airtight. Most canopys are open in the back and it is suggested (not buy me but what I have read) to use both blowing in and the air will vent out the back. It seems that 1 in and 1 out would only pull as much air that is pushed in. Ex. If you blow on one end of a straw you move 1 CFM(just a guess). If you suck(pull) you still only move 1 CFM. If a friend sucks (pull) on one end and you blow (push) the other end you still only move 1 CFM. YOu have used twice the energy and still moved the same amount of air. Kinda like a car with huge exhaust and factory intakes. The huge exhaust only helps if you can get more air in.]

[Well I am stating what has worked for me. All I know is if I dont run fans my tank heats up with 6 46" T5s and 2 400w MH and 1 250w MH. But understand what your stating. I got this idea from all the MH hoods I have gotten in the past. Works for them and there not air tight so I thought it would work for me so I tried it and it works. But what works for others does not always work for the next guy. And my tank stays at 79. And I have no glass canopy open 215]