help with identification

wrhenry

Premium Member
I need help identifying what appears to be an anemone. It is small, a little smaller than a dime. It has a bright red/pinkish food and light, clear looking tenticles. They really look clear with white tips. It is tiny, but doesn't look like aptasia and I have never seen a majano that wasn't green somewhere. I think I have two, one a little smaller than a dime and one about the same diameter as a standard pencil. I haven't seen them fully inflated yet. The only anemone I have on my tank is a rock flower at the moment. Just really curious as to what it is to know if I need to hit it with kalk paste or let it live. Any help would be appreciated. I am working on getting a picture posted.

Looked up picture of ball anemone, that pretty much has to be what it is. So then I read about them and they apparently eat fish etc. So, my concern is how do I rid myself of them to protect my tank? It is pretty, bit I don't want to have a tank full of ball anemones and nothing else lol.... or if someone wants the two I have you can come get them. It seems some people want them. I would much rather have a variety of corals and fish, and help everything be as safe and happy as possible. Sobif something may or may not eat what I add, better yo get it out I would think. Thanks Izro!

Just found a bigger one, about the size of a quarter. I guess which ever these are open at night. I turned on the actjnics and noticed this guy. He is three times the size of the mid sized one and about 10 times the size of the smallest. Makes me wonder if there are more I haven't found. So, kalk paste or is there another way?

You might be able to try aiptasia remover and just use a lot. Since ball anemones and aiptasia are both anemones, I'd assume aiptasia remover would work.

Ball nems aren't really bad for your tank and some look awesome under a tank

~introducing fish and coral into a electronically balanced body of water since 2007~

@FatWrasse wrote:
Ball nems aren't really bad for your tank and some look awesome under a actinic ~introducing fish and coral into a electronically balanced body of water since 2007~ said:
~introducing fish and coral into a electronically balanced body of water since 2007~

If you like the look of the ball anemones (and they are cool) then I wouldn't worry about fish. All anemones eat fish, but the fish has to be pretty much dead and land right in their tentacles. People feed silver sides to their 'nems and I saw a post where a guy fed his dead clown fish to his 'nem. I've owned big anemones for many years and have yet to lose a live fish to an anemone(but I've never had a carpet or mini/maxi) If it were me....I'd monitor them to see how many there are and if not many and no bigger than a quarter, I'd keep them, they look cool. If not, maybe someone would want them but I don't know how to "unfoot" something that small. Trade rock maybe?

There are 4 total I have found. All on one large rock. They actually look really cool, but I don't want to cause issues for my coral/fish. They have little colored tips on almost clear tentacles. But if you guys think they are fine, I would just as soon leave them as try to kill them.

@wrhenry wrote:
There are 4 total I have found. All on one large rock. They actually look really cool said:
Hitchhikers can be cool... but you have to take into consideration your overall stocking plan.

Will these fit into your tank with whatever else you want to add? Do you plan on little gobies and such that could become food for them?

You also have to consider their ability to spread - which many small anemones can do rapidly (majono, aiptasia, etc.).

If you like them, and don't mind working your stocking plan around them, then keep 'em, otherwise chisel 'em off the rock and trade 'em!