help with algee

tshirtsbyjeff

Membership Expired
HERE ARE SOME PICTURES OF MY TANK. AS YOU CAN SEE I HAVE A PRETTY BAD ALGEE PROBLEM. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF FISH, CRAB, STAR, ETC. I GAN GET THAT WILL EAT MOST OF IT UP. REEF SAFE STUFF PREFERABLY. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE.

I CURRENTLY HAVE 5 EMERALD CRABS, 1 SERANT STAR, 10 SCARLET REEF HERMITS, 40 ASTREA TURBOS, 8 NASSARIUS SNAILS, REAGAL TANG, SAILFIN TANG, SIX LINE WRASSE, 1 CORAL BANDED SHRIMP. WHAT DO I NEED TO GET THAT WILL HELP WITH MY ALGEE.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Not sure it's algae, I had the same stuff and it was IDed at Cyano bacteria. I used Chemiclean and it took a few days, but it has pretty much cleared it.

Yep...looks like cyano. Efficient skimming, reduced feeding and increased flow across the sandbed will help. Since we don't have the age of your tank, I'll just put it out there that cyano is unavoidable in a new tank but, you can greatly reduce it by trying the above suggestions.

Cheers,

[[UPDATE]]

OK I HAVE A KORILA3 AND TWO MAXIJET 1200'S. ALSO I HAVE A MARINELAND CANISTER C-360 FILTER. I AM CURRENTLY WORKING ON A 30 GALLON REFUGIUM FOR IT. PLEASE HELP IT IS GETTING WORSE. I HAVE CUTBACK ON MY FEEDING, USED CHEMICLEAN (WHICH WORKED FOR THE RED STUFF BUT NOT THE LIGHT GREEN ALGEE),NCREASED THE FLOW, AND MOVED THE KORILA 3 REALLY CLOSE TO THE BOTTOM SO THERE IS MORE FLOW JUST ABOVE THE SAND.

WILL MORE CRABS HELP. WHAT OTHER KIND OF STUFF WILL HELP GET RID OF MY PROBLEM.

@tshirtsbyjeff wrote:
HERE ARE SOME PICTURES OF MY TANK. AS YOU CAN SEE I HAVE A PRETTY BAD ALGEE PROBLEM. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF FISH said:
How old is this tank?

Please turn off your caps lock button. When typing in all caps, it is interpreted as shouting.

How long are you running your lights each day?

[[UPDATE]]

Sorry about the all caps, one of the programs I use at work has to be all caps so I have gotten use to it.

I first set up the tank about 6 months ago. I have my lights set on a timer the 2 48" 110w t12 actinics come on at 1 then the 2 48" 110w t12 daylights come on at 2 and then they go off at 10 and 11. I have about 50 snails (turbo, nassaarius, star) 5 emerald crabs, 10 scarlet reef hermits, a freckle faced sailfin tang, a six line wrasse, a tiger goby, and a blue damsel. What else do I need to do or what else can I get to help control the algee.

Here are some more updated pictures taken a few minutes ago. As you can see the problem is getting worse.

IMO your tank is just going through a natural cycle that you should allow to happen. As Marc, Ron, and others have pointed out make sure you skimmer is working properly, you're not overfeeding, and you are performing water changes on a routine basis. Unfortunately sometimes your tank has to look ugly IMO. Tanks go through these natural progressions as the populations of one form of algae or bacteria gains dominance and then recedes. Your tank will achieve the correct balances as long as you maintain it properly. There are too many "miracle cures" on the market IMO that will just set back your tank rather than allow it to progress. Just let it happen :)

My tank is also 6 months old. I just got over my second bout of diatoms, which was preceded by cyano. It's most likely part of the normal maturation process. I did use chemiclean on the cyano, but just let the diatoms run their course. Keep on top of water quality and it should pass.

@paige wrote:
It's most likely part of the normal maturation process. said:
Exactly, see this thread in the New to the Hobby Forum, it was written by Eric Borneman as a reply to a question about a new tank.
http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=23791

I have tried sand sifting gobies and all have died due to starvation. A new tank does not have enough critters in the sand for them to eat.

Mine would not eat any food I supplied to them. Others may have different experience. Also when they eat the sand they spread it all over the corals.

I just bought a tiger goby and yes you are right he does throw sand everywhere. Correct he does not have enough to eat in the sand because my tank is only 6 months old. On the contrary he will eat flake food though.