Help - Parasites in my tank?

SharkSnack

Premium Member
I am trying to figure out what has been going on with me 55g FOWLR tank. I have lost ALL my fish that have been in the tank. This includes my Koran Angel (here is my post from that problem: http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=28857), my Scribbled Rabbitfish, and now my S&S Puffer). I have been looking at the possibility of getting a UV Sterilizer as the water tests I have done all looked good.

Ph 8.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Amonia 0
Salinity 1.025
Temp 79

On another thread where I posted looking for a UV Sterilizer, it was mentioned putting in a Poly Filter. I have since gotten one and am about to put it in place this evening.

Another thing I have noticed in my tank are these little white flecks of some sort that keep getting on tank glass inside the tank. In taking a closer look at them, I have noticed that some of them are moving slowly, and they have antenna(?). Here are a few PICs I just took of them.

Please let me know if you have any ideas what these could be.

Thanks in Advance!
Frank

Could be 'pods, the ones with antennae are snails (collonista or stomatella- good guys, maybe, hard to tell from the pics..)

Now that your tank is fishless, you have the opportunity to leave it that way for 6 weeks and starve out any ich that might have been in there. It may not be the actual problem you were experiencing, but it rules out one potential problem.

What kind of water are u using? Did they just kick the bucket overnite? Or was it gradual? Did you notice anything on them like ich? changes in colorations? etc...

Just need some more input.

@Ashlar wrote:
Could be 'pods said:
Ditto, there was some disease in there. My guess is Ich. The nice part about most diseases is that they are obligorate(sp?) parasites meaning they have to have a fish host so leaving the tank fallow for 6-8 weeks will most likely correct the issue. Running a polyfilter (to see if there is any thing funky) is a good idea as well as running carbon just for good measure.

The UV filter can help control some bacteria but is largely unneccesary and will never really eliminate anything but only reduce.

Have you used any meds in the tank??

What kind of water are u using? Did they just kick the bucket overnite? Or was it gradual? Did you notice anything on them like ich? changes in colorations? etc... Just need some more input. said:
I am using RO/DI water from an LFS in Plano. For the most part it was fairly gradual. I did see some spots on the Puffer that was most likely ick, but I have never seen ick affect a fish that quickly. The rabbittfish went over a day and a half. The Angle and Rabbittfish both had some fin rot, and the Angel looked like it had an infection around the gills.

Ditto said:
I just picked up a canister filter (used) this past weekend where I can run the carbon. I need to get some additional parts first though. I am also planning on changing out ALL the water and removing the crushed coral to put in live sand. I may still get the UV filter for my reef tank.

I did use the API "Flixs" meds at first in the tank, but it caused havic with my Protein skimmer/bio filter. That is when I setup a hospital tank for my Angel.

Frank