Help my chromis are eating all my pods

@mmiller40 wrote:
[...Will my manderian survive?] said:
[Depends... How large is your tank? How much live rock? How established is your pod population. How many chromis? Mandarins, in addition to being picky eaters, are also quite shy about it. They will not compete with other fish for food, and thus often starve. If one is to keep a mandarin, it's usually advisable that they be the only fish in the tank that view pods as a primary food source.

From what you are describing, it sounds like your chromis will out compete your mandarin for food, and absent a really a large fuge, or a very well established pod population in a large tank the long term outlook probably isn't good. I would make sure that you are feeding the chromis very well, as this might slow down their decimating the pod population.]

[Mitch,

Ordinarily I'd feel comfortable saying a 120lbs of well populated LR could support 1 mandarin. Of course with the other predators in the tank, all bets are off.

If it's to the point that your noticing the decline, then imo, the chromis are probably putting too large a dent in your pod population. Try feeding them real well, and absent that, decide which one you like best, the mandarin or the chromis... OR, just set up a new tank! :D That's as good a reason as any! :)]

@mmiller40 wrote:
[Scott said:
[Chromis aren't normally pod eaters unless they float in the water column. Make sure you feed them a couple times a day. They have the same problem as anthias, they are high matabolism, and they will have to eat like crazy or they'll die. only feed a tiny pinch every time though. most of it will go to waste. Once they send all your pods running for cover & they are eating other things, they'll probly ignore the pods. Mine do.]