Help in removing Kenya Tree infestation!

aeroutaF35

Premium Member
So I have decided to address my Kenya tree problem. I’m thinking of removing a few rocks at a time, scrapping of the tree and attempting to preserve the other coral growing on the rock.

Any experience or tips to get this done?
E1C813E7-14FF-4340-9D01-A961E2CA6380.jpeg5F0B2710-6237-4BC6-BE16-107733FFDC1A.jpeg1E49BD43-DB09-47DF-80E4-24F8D958DD7F.jpeg

Last edited:
This stuff is not easy to get rid of. If you scrap it off any small pieces can start growing all over again. Mine finally melted away after pretty much neglecting the tank. Good luck.

One effective method to remove the Kenya tree is to manually remove as much of the tree and its roots as possible. This can be done by carefully uprooting the tree and its surrounding substrate, being sure to remove any remaining roots. It is important to dispose of the removed material properly to prevent the spread of the infestation. Another method is to use a herbicide to kill the tree and its roots. However, this method should only be used as a last resort, as it can harm other aquatic life and disrupt the balance of the ecosystem.

Last edited:
I figure I will need to remove the rock, clean off the Kenya Tree, then replace back it the tank. But I want to avoid disturbing/redoing the entire aquascape. There has got to be a way to get rid of this coral.

Could you cut / scrape as much as possible off, then cover what’s left on the rock with coral putty to seal over it? Would only want to do a small amount at a time as the putty could foul your water. But that might work. Then you could come back later and break off the putty to get your rock looking how it was later after the roots have been smothered out. Or a kalk paste / F-aptasia? Just some thoughts.

get a pair of surgical scissors (if you don't already have for fragging softies) and chop them down at the base/trunks and remove the trimmings. yes, many of the stumps will eventually start to grow back - but in an hour you will remove 90% of them. then, do it again the next week removing any new growth. repeat weekly as needed.
they grow fast, but not so fast that they can all grow back faster than you trim them out. and by trimming and removing you avoid a lot of the pollution that may occur with any one-shot chemical, and don't greatly disturb the tank by removing rocks.

get a pair of surgical scissors (if you don't already have for fragging softies) and chop them down at the base/trunks and remove the trimmings. yes, many of the stumps will eventually start to grow back - but in an hour you will remove 90% of them. then, do it again the next week removing any new growth. repeat weekly as needed.
they grow fast, but not so fast that they can all grow back faster than you trim them out. and by trimming and removing you avoid a lot of the pollution that may occur with any one-shot chemical, and don't greatly disturb the tank by removing rocks.
Ok I will give this a try. Will this eventually get rid of them or with they always come back?

I thought I could remove 1/4 of the rocks every week for a thorough cleaning, and scrubbing. I removed about 1/3 of the rocks and I don’t care to continue doing that.