Help! Fish Dying, Corals OK

TriggaFish99

Premium Member
I'm not sure what's going on, but suspect some equipment failure.

The halides are not on yet, actinics are on I removed the heaters, tank @ 83, usually keep it at 81 max. The heaters were not on, but removed them as a precaution.

There is a slight burn smell in the fish room, as in wires. I don't see anything and all pumps are running. Skimmer went a little crazy and was full (about a gallon). I suspect it was 1/4 full last time I looked that I can remember.

I threw two bags of carbon in the sump. Will add more shortly. Just wanted to get this post up quickly. Hoping for some ideas.

I don't have any water right now. Any water, mixed preferably would be appreciated.

Tank is 300+ gallons.

Phone # is 214-577-2327.

@TriggaFish99 wrote:
I'm not sure what's going on said:
I had a cracked pump fry in a sump once....

Remove your pumps and check them carefully, along with any cord connections. Unplug them first..... before grabbing them. Carbon is good, so keep it in there.

Do a 30-40% water change as soon as you can, run carbon and if you have it or can get it, some poly filter.

Check your protein skimmer pump(s) impellars. Look at the anything that may be leaching metal into the water, as well as electricity.

Check for foreign objects in the sump, like batteries or other things a child might toss in.

Left you a voice mail.

Got it. Freaking plastic coated heater had a pinhole. When I pushed on the pinhole, it collapsed and water shot out! I'll post pics when I can.

I'm running carbon, phosban, and poly filter. Il never be without poly again!

Oh yea, I've been hosting a party at the house today. The only way it could be worse would be if I was out of town! Thankfully I was home!

@TriggaFish99 wrote:
Got it. Freaking plastic coated heater had a pinhole. When I pushed on the pinhole said:
Yep... been there. Since you have isolated the problem, keep the skimmer going and maybe run an air line if you can. Not sure that would help much but having more O2 in the water can't hurt. Hope it all works out for you.

Sam Andrews saved my tank! He came over with extra carbon, water, test kits, and care. I didn't have ammonia test kits...when does anyone test for that right?

Other than temp, all water parameters were close to normal or very good.

The cause was most definitely the heater that fried.

Sam stepped up and really saved fishes lives today! I don't think I lost a single fish! I just fed. Several got their appetite back, a few were not their normal selves. But I think every one got at least a few morsels.

I found it weird, but the tangs were the canaries that showed the first signs of stress. My Achilles tang was the first one I saw upside down breathing like he just finished a marathon. I then was looking around the tank and saw the Blond Naso in the same position. Since the lights were not on yet, all other fishes were still in the sleep mode. So I wasn't sure how the other fish were doing.

I've come to a conclusion today. The more expensive the fish and the more you like them...the more Susceptible to dying they are. The $4.99 damsels seemed to never be stressed.

I guess tomorrow's mystery will see if any corals make it.

Happy memorial day! So far no casualties!

I'm very glad you figured it out, and that you got some local assistance to boot. That's excellent news, and it's nice to see DFWMAS members helping out. (I'm assuming, since I don't know for sure... but it started on the message board, regardless)

I lost a Blond Naso about 7 inches. But that was my only loss. All other livestock seems fine. Anemones, SPS, LPS, and softies all survived unaffected.

So in Summary:

1). Heater malfunctioned. It had an internal failure that cooked and cracked the plastic covering. Somehow it either leached contaminants like burning plastic into the water. About the only comparison I can think of, would be trapped ins room with burning plastic. Either the burning caused the oxygen to drop or it leached toxins into the tank that caused the fishes' ability to get oxygen from the water. I'm thinking it was the toxins.

I only had two indicators. I noticed the Achilles Tang upside down and breathing hard. The other indicator was a slight burnt plastic smell in the fish room.

2). All parameters were normal and within acceptable levels. Either Sam or I tested salinity, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, calcium, Alk, Magnesium, PH, temp, and copper. From a testing perspective, I never found a parameter that I could point to that would indicate a problem.

3). This happens quickly and you must act just as quickly. But don't be stupid. Be methodical and logical. For example: I immediately removed the most likely culprit with the minimum disruption to normal tank operation. Try to keep the core systems on line if possible. I firmly believe this helped too.

I suspected the heater because all pumps seemed to be working fine. The heaters shouldn't even have been on. It wasn't hot like it was on, but the increased temps made me suspicious of the heaters (I have 3 installed).

4). Water changes: While more may have been better, I only had just over 20 gallons. That's less than 10 percent. I started the RO/DI for more water changes later. Even a quick small water change is better than nothing.

5). Mechanical filtration. While it's been about two years since I used activated carbon, I still had some on hand. I filled a Phosban 150 with quality carbon. Of course since I was in a hurry, I couldn't get the O-ring to seal. It kept leaking and spilling on the floor. So instead of hanging it in its usual spot outside the tank, I just reversed it so that when it leaked, it leaked into the sump instead of on the floor. I did make sure that it did have adequate flow through the media.

I also threw three bags of carbon/phosphate remover/poly filter combo into the sump also.

6). When things start to turn the corner, stop trying to change stuff. Once I saw the small, low oxygen consuming, fish starting to become active...I knew I was turning a corner towards tank recovery and stabilisation.

The next morning ALL fish appeared normal before the lights were on. On my way to work I was happy because all fish seemed to be alive and well. Unfortunately by the time I got home, the Naso was somewhere in the rock work struggling for his life. I eventually saw where he was hiding. He was breathing heavily. All other fish were fine. The Naso died either last night or this morning. I couldn't locate him for about 12 hours. I eventually saw just his tail sticking out deep in the rock work. I removed him to prevent an ammonia spike and another tank problem.

I changed another 10 gallons of water today because it was already made. I now have 60 gallons of fresh saltwater made and ready to go if I need it.

Bottom line is that if I didn't have carbon and poly filter on hand and failed to act quickly, I would have at least lost all my fish and maybe my corals.

Luck and semi preparedness on my part (and Sam's) saved about 20 fish and several hundred dollars.

Thanks to Sam for being Johnny on the spot with some additional manpower and extra backup equipment/supplies.

Il post pics of the heater shortly.

First pic is the name brand for identification purposes.

6c42ebd3-bddc-f70c.jpg
alt="">

This pic shows how difficult this was to find. You may notice s small pin hole. this area was noticeably weaker than the rest of the heater.

6c42ebd3-be43-9bd4.jpg
alt="">

This pic shows the crack it the plastic coating when I pushed it with my thumb. Once open, it was quickly obvious that this was the source of the acrid smell of burned plastic.

6c42ebd3-bee2-22ab.jpg
alt="">

So if you have a plastic heater, this catastrophe could happen to you! Beware!

I hope this experience can help someone in need.

Thanks Marc for unlocking this do I could add the remainder of my emergency! Hopefully this is truly resolved now.

There was a heater recall a few months ago, but I don't remember if it was your brand or not.

I wouldn't use that broken heater again. Do a google search for aquarium heater recalls and see what you find.

Marc

I communicated poorly. My previous post was referring to your comments about the recall.

I was thinking maybe if the recall applied to my brand, I could send I the heater that almost killed all my fish or a new one. Then I could use the new heater to heat water.