Help Finding LED Lights for a 4ftx2ft Tank

DGAM

Premium Member
I am in the process of setting up my new tank and have never used LED's before.

- I plan to make it a fish only tank for now but may convert it to a reef fish tank eventually.

- The tank is 4ft long by 2ft tall and 18 inches front to back.

- I don't have a canopy so I am looking for a tank hanging or wall hanging unit.

- I want to buy a good lighting unit so I am OK spending a good amount of money on it although I am obviously looking for the best light for the best price. Any special deals you've heard of lately?

Thank you!!

- DGAM

I am using these orbit marine LEDs. They are amazing! Come with a preprogrammed timer system and everything. Take it out of the box, plug it in, and done! I paid $200 in the LFS but you can find the 48" online for less. They have adjustable arms so the adjust to fit. I have had them in for a few weeks now, and the difference in the light and the growth versus my metal halide was immediate.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=27873

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyler
Do you have pictures of the tank? I saw those at a LFS and I didnt think it was bright enough for corals

Reefbreeders are the best deal out there right now IMO. Two value w/o optics or a photon 32 would work well, I've used them for a while now and couldn't be happier. I will tell you not all the "china" fixtures are equal though.

@tripp wrote:
Tyler Do you have pictures of the tank? I saw those at a LFS and I didnt think it was bright enough for corals said:
I agree. The fixture is 36watts and it has 144 led's. I don't think it would work too well on the 2ft deep tank. Personally I like Buildmyled.com.

I can build you something when back in town. Check out my build log in my signature.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.