Help! Drilling a hole thru plastic

I'm setting up a new tank at my AZ house & I need to drill a hole in the bottom of my new skimmer cup for a line out to drain into an exterior container. I'm thinking that if I put a piece of tape on each side of the cup where I'm going to drill my hole, plus set a small block of wood on the exit side that HOPEFULLY the plastic won't crack. Is this a good plan?

hmmm...is that what these cups are usually made of? It's looks like plastic to me. I think at least I'll pick up a brand new drill bit before I do it. I need to find a fitting for the hole too, so the 1/4" tubing won't surprise me by slipping out of the hole.

If you have a 2 speed drill, drill on the slow speed and go slow with very little pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find the fitting first before you drill. Maybe you can find something that goes on the side of a evaporative water cooler, for example. You want to know the proper size before drilling.

+1 on what Marc said.

If you are using like a john guest threaded fitting you want to drill smaller than the fitting and use a tap to make the threads

Usually when you buy a tap it comes with a drill bit.

1. Get the John Guest fitting
2. Get a tap/drill bit to match threads on fitting.
3. Start the hole with something small and slowly drill through.
4. Slowly Bore out hole with the larger drill bit.
5. Slowly hand cut the threads using the tap.
6. Use thread tape on fitting.

You can find the drill and tap set at places like Harbor Freight or Home Depot. It's not expensive, and you simply take your time. The entire process won't take 10 minutes to complete. Whatever you screw in, you may want an O-ring between the cup and the fitting to seal it.

http://www.reefaddicts.com/entry.php/28919-Ramping-up-for-my-MACNA-trip