Helmet Cowfish/Boxfish Advice

zerocool

Premium Member
Hey guys. I introduced a 1" helmet cowfish into my 50g display tank after a 3 weeks in quarantine. The other inhabitants of the tank currently are some snails and 6 blue/green chromis. He was acting fine after the first few hours of introduction and continued to eat when being fed (he eats a lot!). I came home from work a few hours later to check on him and he must've jumped out just seconds before but he was on the counter where the tank stands jiggling in a drops of water.

Well now we had a real predicament. As you guys know that when stressed these F'ers can release a toxin that can completely wipe out the tank. Whether he was being pestered before by the chromis or not - I threw him into a tupperware bowl with an airstone for an hour, did a large water change, and put a carbon reactor on the tank just to be safe. All is well. I tested the water to see if that was a possibility after the incident and everything checked out fine.

So I'm considering putting him back in now (with an acrylic top now on the tank) but am curious. Have any of you had experience with Chromis stressing these guys? They are all about the same size 1-1.5".

@Ben wrote:
Damsel I could see picking at him but not a chromis. Sometimes fish just jump... said:
Precisely the concrete data points I was looking for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk