Helfrich's firefish hiding

I picked up a Helfrichi firefish on Thursday. The LFS got him in and gave me a call. I came right over and they kept him in the shipping bag for me so he wouldn't have to go through any unnecessary acclimation to their tank.

He seemed really healthy, and the only thing I noticed about him was that one of his pelvic fins was slightly torn (I assumed this either happened when they caught him to ship him out, or as the result of an aggressive tankmate).

He was fairly lethargic in the bag during acclimation, as can be expected. Anyway, I got him acclimated to my water and netted him into the tank. He swam around briefly, then found his way into the cave in my rockwork and sort of laid on the bottom, resting up against a small rock. He stayed like that for a number of hours. Other fish swam into the cave to explore, but he didn't budge. He also didn't show any interest in food as it floated by. Later that evening, he found his way into a very tight space inside a piece of rock where you can hardly see him at all (you can barely see his head from certain angles through a tiny hole in the rock). He has been in there ever since.

He's not breathing heavily, and he seems to be doing alright, but he will not come out of his little hiding spot, regardless of whether the lights are on or off. I assumed he was just a little unsure of the tank at first, but I'm starting to wonder why he's behaving this way. None of my fish have acted aggressively toward him... Perhaps he's trying to rest so he can heal his fin.

Anyway, my main concern is that he's going to stay in there and starve himself. I'm target feeding the area by squirting some mysis into his little hiding spot, but I have no way of knowing if he's eating it. Tonight will be his third night spent in hiding. Anyone have any ideas on this one? I've never had a fish that acted this timid before.

A quick update:

I turned my Vortech off to do my water change, and the firefish came right out and started swimming around. When I turned the Vortech back on, he darted back into the rock... Why does he seem to hate the current so much!?

Or he doesn't like the flow. But if that's all it took turn it off for a few hours mid day. He might get used to it. If you feed him some flakes at the same time he will get used to coming out around that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think any of the Vortechs are completely silent... My MP10 definitely makes more noise than my old Koralias (just a slight hum coming from the "dry side"/motor), but I made the switch in favor of the random flow patterns that the Vortech offers. I turned the Vortech way down and he has been venturing out periodically to hover in front of his opening in the rock for a few seconds. I think he's slowly getting braver! I'll turn the flow up gradually to acclimate him to it. I tried to drop some mysis in while he was out, but he darted back in as soon as I got close to the tank, and my other fish gobbled the mysis up. I'm looking at this as a good sign, though. This is the first time I've seen him out and about in a few days, so it's nice. I'm hoping that Carl, my cleaner shrimp, doesn't spook him. Carl is always desperate for interaction with the fish, and they generally want nothing to do with him. Poor Carl... [smilie=crying.gif]

I like mcreefers idea with shutting pump off for a few hours during the day when its feeding time. I do those with my tank from 2-5 and feed at 3 just so pellets have time to sink before getting blown to overflow. My fish go crazy over the the AFS turning on and all huddle waiting for pellets to drop.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

Well, I started him off at about 20% power on the MP10. He popped out a couple of times and swam around close to the cave. I bumped the Vortech up to 50% after about an hour, and I noticed that he would still come out to explore and then dart back into his hole. At one point, he stayed out for about 10 minutes, which was pretty surprising! So, after another hour I bumped the MP10 back up to its normal power (about 85%). I've seen him come out a number of times since then. He has even gone exploring at the far ends of the tank. Perhaps he just needed to be "acclimated" to the flow, or he finally got used to the tank and his increasingly brave excursions just happened to coincide with my powerhead adjustments. Either way, it looks like he's finally settling in to the tank environment. I am quite relieved. I still haven't witnessed him eating, but he seems to be getting along well with the tank inhabitants, and he seems very healthy. Thanks for the advice, guys!

Just a quick update: the firefish comes out of hiding pretty regularly now, and actually sleeps in the cave with my larger clownfish. However, he hides whenever you approach the tank. Even with food. I've been babying him by squirting food in his hiding spot, but I'm going to stop doing that so he learns to come out and eat like the rest of his tankmates.

Success! I finally have the little guy eating the mysis I put into the tank. He is no longer hiding during feeding time. I'm quite relieved!