Has anyone had a female BTA spawn?

Michelle

Premium Member
Has anyone had a female BTA spawn? I've seen posts stating their BTAs released white smoky clouds from the mouth which sound more like the spawn of males. If you have had a female spawn, can you provide details as to time of year and day, lunar cycle, conditions and appearance of the anemone leading up to the spawn. And did you have a male in the tank that spawned and triggered the female?

From the research I?ve done, males are synchronous (spawning yearly during the warmest water temperatures and shortest photo cycles, typically during spring-summer). Females are asynchronous and research suggests that they are triggered by the male.

I?m not looking to breed anemones, although the population of aiptasia in my sump suggests I?m a pro at it. Rather I would like to understand the actions of the animals prior to the spawn event and the triggers that cause it so I can do some preventive measures or at least be prepared for the cleanup.

We have 6 BTAs, 2 are clones so same sex, that leaves 5 plays on the roulette wheel. Odds are good that there is at least one ?other? sex BTA in the tank.