Hans' fish room build (multiple tanks)

hnurge

Premium Member
Staff member
hi guys, i love the tank builds - so i figure i should contribute. the problem is, my project is more than just the reef tank. I'm designing and building a complete fish room. the 115 reef will be the main element, but the other tanks support. all in all i intend to have the following:
Main stand:
115 reef with 30g sump
75G planted with 18g sump & co2
10g stand:
10g Daphnia(fresh)/cyclops(salt) feed growing tank
10g salt isolation tank/micro reef/lab tank (but not hospital)
10g fry grow-out tank (fresh)
10g hospital/grow-out/misc glass bottom tank (hospital/multi purpose)
75g stand:
20g long Frag tank(salt)
20g long hospital (salt)
75g south american cichlid (fresh - the wife has commanded - i would prefer salt FOWLR tank)
5x 10g misc

most of my successfull projects begin with a plan - and i have lots for this - here they are:

so the first step was to remodel the room.
the room will be my office and fish room, so i needed a lot of power and some isolation between the breakers. i had 4 new breakers installed and wired in. all done i have 3 breakers for the tanks, 1 for computers, 1 for a window unit to help with humidity and heat if necessary, and 1 for the room lights. also added a smoke detector, moved the AC unit, and reinforced the walls where the tanks will be. water resistant drywall, and several coats of paint.

all done, im happy with the room:

OK, so now i got distracted - finaly having a tank stand, i HAD to fill it with tanks.
- i siliconed a glass divider into one of the 10's,some PVC with 90deg elbows on the top drilled with rigid airline tube, heater,glass hood and a cheep 18" florescent light for the top tank, which will be (and now is) the food growing tank.
- for the salt tank, i added some rock and substrate i had lying around, and old skimmer, HOB filter (that i put on the side), heater, and an internal filter/power head for a bit more current and filtration, and an old light (i later upgraded that to a custom LED, but ill get to that later).
- for the 3rd tank i added the HOB filter (on the side) rocks, gravel, heater, and florescent hood - the wife claimed this tank.
- and the 4th and last tank is bare with a sponge filter and florescent hood (i added a few large river rocks and java moss, but they come out easy)

ran all the cords, added water, and waited patiently(or tried) for them to cycle.

so, as that little 10g salt tank cycled it was obvious that that 18" florescent hood was not going to be enough, and i was itching to play with some of the electronic designs i had been developing for the main tank - so i took a week or so and built a custom LED light for it. low budget and very much from scratch. I also had some 10w LEDs that i wanted to test out.
here is an abbreviated list of the components:
1 stainless steel dog bowl (for reflector)
1 old PC fan and heat-sink
1 12v 2a DC adapter i had lying around
some old phone cable
1 10w 6500k white LED (3 for $12, ebay)
3 3w 445nm royal blue LED's (10 for $15, ebay)
1 ATMega 328 microprocessor ( $3.50, tyda)
1 DS1307 real time clock chip ($2, tyda)
lots of misc electronic parts (resistors, caps,transistors, diodes, plugs, prototype boards,etc (~$6, tyda)
some blue acrylic for the enclosure ($12 for enough to build 3, Tap plastics)
acrylic cement (cost ~$10 plus shipping, but i have used this a lot and barely made a dent in it, Tap plastics)
about 4" of acrylic rod ($1.50 for 6ft, tap plastics)
6 small stainless steel screws (~$3 for a small bag at HD)

so the base idea is this, I built 2 pwm controllable LED drivers, one 1A constant current for the 10W led, and the other 600mA for 3x3w LED's side by side using the same 12v supply. based on the poormans buck driver here:http://www.instructables.com/id/Poormans-Buck/.
then i added in a 5v regulator, the ATMega, the DS1307 to controll the buck drivers and dim the lights over the right period and at the right time, and a power transistor to control the fan. i had to program the chip in my arduino and then add it to the circuit, as this was a low budget build. a more robust one would include a display and some buttons to set the time and timers. info on how to wire the RTC can be found here:http://tronixstuff.wordpress.com/2010/05/28/lets-make-an-arduino-real-time-clock-shield/

i had to play with the fading a bit. the microprocessor with arduino code supports 256 levels for PWM, but that doesn't translate perfectly to 256 levels of equal fade. i did some toying and decided on 8 levels i liked - off(0),15,50,90,130,170,210,(on)255.

once the electronics were tested and working it was time to put it all together. i drilled and tapped the heat-sink to mount the LED's. with great difficulty i hacked a big enough hole in the bottom of the dog bowl to mount it to the heat-sink and act as the reflector. and then wired the pendant up with a stretch of the cat3 phone line. i cut and glued together the acrylic to make the electronic enclosure, drilled the holes for wires, buttons, and air flow, then put it all together.

a few modifications - the blue enclosure looked great, but i couldn't tell the difference between my blue and white indicator lights (i know, why need an LED to indicate that your LED is on? - because indicator lights are cool!) so i drilled some holes in the faceplate and added some sections of clear acrylic rod, now it has nice blue and white indicator lights (that you can tell the difference between)to indicate which color channel is active. I downgraded the PC fan to 5v. it was running at 12v, but was loud. at 5v you cant hear it at all, and the heat-sink still doesn't get warm.

comments: its very bright. perhaps too bright for a 10g, but i'm still toying with it - i only have a few mushrooms and polyps and softies, and the water isn't perfect (hard to keep it perfect in such a small tank, salinity jumps around a bit and im struggling with getting the phosphates to 0 (seems to like to hang out at ~.2ppm)). my first coral in there is a eagle eye zoa, and it never has fully opened. it opens about 70%. its healthy, and has even budded off 2 new polyps, but none of them open as full as it was in the tank where i got it. I adde a few more polyps and softes last week and they seem to be thriving, so perhaps its just that one.

anyway, here is a pic of the light and the tank:

@hnurge wrote:
1 stainless steel dog bowl (for reflector) 1 old PC fan and heat-sink 1 12v 2a DC adapter i had lying around some old phone cable 1 10w 6500k white LED (3 for $12 said:
I love your creativity and reuse of existing materials!! :) I'll def be following this thread. Great job on the tank stand too!

i haven't updated this in a while - the little 10g micro has been doing so well that i ran out of room to add anything more, and have been having quite a bit of stocking issues, so Ive been working double-time the past month to get the main tank installed. now it is up and running, though it still needs quite a bit of finishing (cabinet doors and facing, additional lights built, and canopy - i built it enough to get it running).

a few good things came from the delay - as i said, the 10g has been super successful. i have peppermint shrimp spawning about every 3 weeks (watching the tiny shrimp swim is very neat) all palys/zoanthinds have tripled in size or number of polyps in the past 2 months. red, green, and hairy green mushrooms have both doubled in size and divided several times since april, frogspawn has put on two new heads, acropora and birdsnest have encrusted their plugs (not huge growth, but very noticeable growth), and of course the GSP and xenia are just going wild. i only have 2 frags that haven't thrived, a red rhotactus mushroom and a 5 head acan - they are healthy, but haven't noticeably grown - i chalk that up to location and warfare in the tiny overcrowded tank.

so, since the little tank has done so well, i have revised my plans for the big tank - originally planned to go with the algae scrubber, but based on success with the fishless tank and tiny skimmer i decided to use a traditional sump/skimmer/refuge setup on the big tank. i also am doubling the lights, 19 watts beaming down on 2/3rds of a 10 gallon seemed like way to much, but once everything acclimated it is super - so i am going to attempt to duplicate that intensity for at least the top 1/3rd of the 120. and lastly, i am reducing the amount of automation - a fully computer controlled tank sounds awesome, but the little tank has taught me that it is less impressive when the computer messes up. so im building it more KISS. i scrapped the idea for the push-button water change, as i have deemed that vacuuming the main tank with a water change is essential, so i wouldn't use the automated change often enough to justify the effort and risk of malfunction. right now im building the entire tank to operate without any computer control, so that when i add it i know i can switch back to manual at any time if there is an issue.