Hanging a light fixture

chrisrush

Premium Member
Since we moved to Austin, I have been trying to set up my tank but I would like to avoid drilling any holes in the wall or ceiling as this is a rental house. I bought an ATI sunpower fixture the other day and I need to find a way to mount it. I was thinking about those zero edge tree lamps, but they are $190, which is crazy for a piece of bent conduit. Anyone got any other suggestions?

Moved to current forum.

I have seen hanging plant holders that are long poles curved over at the top with a loop or hook at the end. They are made for sticking in the ground but could possibly be attached to a stand so as to hold a light.

I just built me one of these yesterday:

I'll post pics once I get it up.

I'm actually making two sizes, one is to hang the light higher so that I can test the par and get my corals adjusted to the new light. Then i'll move them down to where I want them. After that I'll switch out with the other light hanger that I made to keep the lights 16-18" above the tank.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-04/diy/index.php

I used the reefkeeping article to make my setup... I've also set it up so I could pivot the unit back and forth to access the tank easier.

file.php
alt="">

Thanks for the article and the pictures. That is exactly what I was looking for. Anyone think of using copper instead of conduit?

@chrisrush wrote:
Thanks for the article and the pictures. That is exactly what I was looking for. Anyone think of using copper instead of conduit? said:
If you want to spend the money ... i say go for it. I would do a test run with conduit, because 10' is only 3.84

I personally don't like the look of copper since our living room and decor is more modern.

I would not use copper around saltwater at all. However, you could use regular conduit, then spray paint it with the copper color you like perhaps?

I'm planning the same thing... I went to Home Depot the day before yesterday, picked up 1/2" by 8 foot conduit for what, $1.67 or something and the guy said he would bend it and cut it for me :) so I gave him the dimensions needed. I picked up two bolt hooks at Lowes... didn't see them at Home Depot (3/16") and I just need to drill the holes in the conduit, paint the conduit and U bolts for wall mounting. I also picked up 1/2" furniture plastic leg protectors to slip over the ends of the conduit. I think I spent more on gas than materials.