Guide me

sublime-1

Membership Expired
My last sump was smaller than this one, and I am having a little trouble deciding what to do with the extra real estate.

Although I'd like to think I know what the hell I am doing after all these years, I'm still undecided where to put the return.

Much of the confusion is that the TS fuge I got is drilled on the back side for 3 returns, and it's drilled in the same compartment for either an external skimmer, or a return.

I'm leaning toward it having been for a skimmer, or an additional fuge, because why would anyone put their return right at the bottom of the chamber their drains fall into ?

Anyway, have a look at this drawing and tell me which of these would be the preferred method ? I plan to use this bubble-magus NAC6a skimmer for as long as I can. I think it's properly sized for what I wanna do and it has a very compact form factor since the pump sits in the bottom of the reaction chamber. I could house it either in the center, or in the right hand compartment.

If I can help it, I'll probably just go ahead and run the return pump internally. My last 120 I ran it external (Mag 9.5) and it was great. But I'm trying to avoid plugging one end of this sump just to have to drill the other. That would be a pain.

Which is the best arrangement that would allow me to use part of the sump as a fuge, in the future if I so decided ? Also, I'd like to avoid having the return and skimmer in the same section due to issues with microbubbles.

Lastly, this sump is capped on the left side, with red acrylic, and has an eggcrate drip tray, with three pvc drip rails over it. I presume this is a compartment for bio balls, or media, just like a wet-dry.

Thanks for any guidance.

S1

option-1.jpg
alt="">
option-2.jpg
alt="">

IMHO, the return is a bad spot for the probes, as they could give inaccurate readings from dosing and ATO. I would put the probes up-stream of heaters, dosing, and ATO so you get a true reading of what is going on.