Glass/acrylic sealant recommendations?

kelipalmer

Premium Member
The sealant between an acrylic back and the glass on my IM nuvo is failing. Recommendations on what kind of sealant to use? I'd like to use black if possible so it will match. Thanks!

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-silicone-adhesive-black-10oz.html?gclid=CjsKDwjw6qnJBRDpoonDwLSeZhIkAIpTR8JwFM3cLN1kZ4pg8N4vAznVe1DTFLd0HgvFScno5kTIGgLfs_D_BwE

Hey Chris,Thanks for the recommendation.  The BRS page actually says this product is not recommended for use with acrylic.  That's part of my problem in that most of the products are only made for glass.  Other ideas?

Yes that is usually not the recommendation, but to my knowledge there is nothing that will "bond" the 2 together. I have a biocube that had the same issue. I used this black silicone and did the inside chamber seam one day, then the inside tank side seam the next day and then filled up the next and haven't had any issues since. Just throwing out my experience. Maybe some other peeps with had another product that works better but so far working for me :) Good luck!

That's encouraging to know you've used it for the same issue and been successful.  Thanks for sharing.One issue on the IM is that there are several of the plastic pieces that are only sealed on one side.  The main seal failure on mine was only sealed on one side.  I think sealing both sides makes for a stronger bond as the plastic can bend and flex somewhat. 

Yes if that is the case of only one side being sealed, I would definitely seal the other side of all the pieces, good plan. If you are going to re-seal any of the current seals, make sure and remove as much as the old silicone as possible because it doesn't like to stick to cured silicone very well.

The reason they say not to use it for acrylic has to do with trying to bond acrylic to itself using that silicone.  You would want to use the "special" acrylic only bonding agent for that.  The black silicone is using to bond black acrylic to glass in my tank as well and works great.A note to the DIYers out there when it comes to bonding acrylic to glass.  The first time my tank was built, they cut the black acrylic (used to hide the overflow box) to fit perfectly and then sealed it with black silicone.  The acrylic expanded in the warm water and caused the silicone seam of the glass to split!  This was before I owned it, but still something to remember if trying to use acrylic to cover up or add a ballast to a glass tank.  When they redid the tank, they left a nice half inch gap on each side and filled it with silicone.

That's helpful. I think my plastic likely expanded as well and caused the panel to pull away from the sealant. Thanks guys for your help!