Giving up on Anemones

grawlfang

Premium Member
I purchased 1 Sebae and had no problems for 4 months then I added a Clarki Clown and it just beat the anemone up he lost his color and got small so I got rid of the Clarki and it is now 8 months later (1yr total)and he is still small, but extends to the light daily and gets target fed about every 2-3 days. I added 2 maroon clowns about a month ago and 1 just found the Sabae (other one is hosting a bubble coral)and seems to be hosting it so maybe he will get better and regain his size.

On the other hand I have had 2 condi's and another Sabae that all died after different time frames lasting no longer than 3 months. I have tested my water numerous times (PH 8.0-8.4, Salinity .0125, Calcium 460-500, Alk 12, Temp 80F, Nitrates 0, Ammonia 0) do water changes (reef crystals)of 10-15g every other week on a 75g with 20g refugium. I am using PC's 4 - 65w antic blues, and 4 - 65w 12k daylights, antics run 12hrs, daylights run 5hrs(was running 8). I feed reef chili about once every 2 weeks.

Any great ideas would be welcome on getting this last, stubborn Sabae to get big and healthy I would appreciate it.

@grawlfang wrote:
I have tested my water numerous times (PH 8.0-8.4 said:
Hi,
Here are a few item's of concern.
1. Your lighting is not adequate for keeping a sebae alive long term
2. Your ph swing is a bit to much imo
3. Your salinity is super super low (what are your testing with...hydrometer of calibrated refractomer) If you use a hydrometer, your salinity may be higher or lower than you think it is.
4. How often do you dose your tank and what do you use
5. Do you have an ATO, if not, how often do you top-off
6. How and when are you measuring temp, what is your daily temp swing and how do you regulate temperature.

Cheers,

ok, thank you for the info

1. lighting I was told since I can keep SPS and LPS that the anemones would be fine also.
2. I am not sure what causes my PH to change so much, but I test every 2-3 days and it always reads in that range.
3. I test with a Refractometer, and sorry that was a typo 1.025
4. I do not dose my tank
5. I top off every 2 days as I see the water level drop, but I am planning on going to a ATO (JBJ)
6. I have a digital thermometer and a side sticky one, I have the heater 300w in my refugium as it was suggested.
7. I am runnning 4 koralia 4 circulating pump and the return pump is 675g/hr.
8, Running UV lighting
9. Running Oceanic protein skimmer (needs to be emptied about 1 a week)
10. running Chemi pure elite

I am planning with my 130g to get a RKE or another type of controller to monitor everything add a JBJ ATO, I want to change lighting to LED 2 or 3 120w, I am not sure about dosing though have never attempted that and sure sure how much or what type of dosing I should be doing since my calc and alk doesn't seem to fluctuate.

I appreciate all feedback since I have done saltwater for 5 yrs in the past Fish only, I am only 1 yr in to reefs.

With PC lights when I ran them i had to change the bulbs about every 8 months. I have some bulbs I could sell you for cheap if you need them. Also I ran my daylights closer to 10 hours and actinics for about 14. My anenomes did fine. Last thing is you need to spot feed pieces of food to them more often. I use about a cube of shrimp 2 times a week. Then they also catch excess food that floats around the tank from fish/corals.

I have some :: and some .... All are 23" Send me a PM and I will let you know how many of each color of bulb I have.