fuge light, whats working best now days?

bump1

Membership Expired
I am in need of a light for my sump. I have seen a bunch of lights that are red and blue I think is what I saw. It said that its the color for the chato in the sump. Makes it grow crazy I think they said. I wasnt ready for the light yet as I dont have any of the plant to add to the sump. I am hoping I can get some real soon. So I am now wondering what is working the best for u all ?  Is it some of them red and blue Leds or is there a better grower out there ?

In my experience blasting light of whatever sort gets you the first 90%, everything else is the last 10%.  I've used clamp lights, rope lights, LED lights, and a couple other things.  More light seems to result in better macro growth.I'd love to see some detailed studies the same as you see for different coral species.

I have seen the red and maybe blue mixed LEDs wrapped around the reactors and the people seem to think it works great. I havent seen any lad results of this. I did watch a video test from BRS  and the Kessil H380 did great. However I dont want to spend 300 on a sump light. I can pick one of the ones the used but i thought u all might have something that works great as well. I am just trying to get a few more options. 

Posted by: bump1 I have seen the red and maybe blue mixed LEDs wrapped around the reactors and the people seem to think it works great. I havent seen any lad results of this. I did watch a video test from BRS  and the Kessil H380 did great. However I dont want to spend 300 on a sump light. I can pick one of the ones the used but i thought u all might have something that works great as well. I am just trying to get a few more options.  said:
The same LEDs you wrap around a canister also work taped to the side of a fuge, or in my case to the outside of a biocube chamber 2.  I got mine from 1000bulbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yllmXcriPe0FixTheHex reviewed a new 150 watt sump light that I'm going to give a try out.  I wish he put the par values but he seemed to think it was good, so worth the risk to me for 26$. I have a cheato reactor with hydroponic light strings around it.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EZTUYRA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1   They put out 45 watts of reds and blues. It grows cheato decently.  Seems to fill up the  16 inch cannister once every 2 months from top to bottom.  They get very hot at 150 F.  They might have cracked my accrylic cannister filter.  I can't tell, but there is certainly cracking. Hard to believe at only 150F it might have caused it since it requires a lot more than that to mold accrylic.  I'm watching it very carefully.Here's marine depot doing a review on their DIY sump. I use the same led strip he recommended.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygchrsc6_NQ&t=17s  

jaccaclimber, denierlexiese I have a nice huge sump under my tank that Marc made me long ago so I really dont need to do the reactor. The refugium side of my sump is 12 inches high of water and is 19 wide and 28 or 29 inches long so Im going to put that side of the sump to work.  Thank you for the links denierlexiese. I think I like the UFO and will go for it.  I saw where there is a 2oow light as well that he didnt test.The 150w did a 2x2x2 fuge. My water is only 12 inches high so do you all think I should stick with the 150w or go for the 2oow.  

1) I doubt more power will hurt.  I had my (^&$# box light only an inch or two from my chaeto and it loved it.2) If for some reason you think it's too much do you have space to raise it up (and therefore get more coverage)?

I have 17 inches above the sump plus 2 inches for clearance and the water is 4 inches below the top of the sump.  

I've had chaeto: - under a full-spectrum Ocean Revive T247 light that's over my frag tank, - under a $16, 16-inch, full-spectrum light I got on eBay that I rigged over the top of my refugium, and - in front of a JBJ nano-glow LED that is attached with a magnet on one end of the refugiumIt grows like mad in all three situations so Chaeto doesn't seem to be very picky as long it's getting light.  :D

Asta 20 (looks like a mini kessil) has been the magic low cost light for meAmazon is the place to buyPreferably the 6500k freshwater variant as the salt version didn’t make the chaeto grow nearly as well in my experienceView attachment 4337 

i ordered the UFO one. It hangs. I have a 2in lip around my sump so i dont want to clip it on there. Hanging will get it up and out of the way. Ill get pictures of it when i get it in and hung up. 

This light is coming to my house and it is so slow. Seem like forever to me. The Good news is it said it will be here Friday but it seem like Iv been waiting forever. Ordered it back in Feb. around the 20th or so. 

Let us know how it goes, and grows your cheato.  I trust FishOfHex. He's a pretty smart guy. I bought the 150 Watt version too.  According to my kill-o-watt meter it puts out 35 watts.   It's certainly bright.

Here is the update on the sump light  Guys.View attachment 5028I hooked up the light on 03-09-2018. I bought two bags of chaeto from a member here  to start off with and it is now May 15th. It has been 2 months and the chaeto has grown crazy fast. I totally say if u need a sump light ck out this one. Its cheap it hangs and it grows chaeto fast.You can see in the pictures above in the other post there isn't much chaeto in the sump there but now two months later the sump is so thick and it is packed with chaeto. The stuff grew down to the bottom of the sump and its thick. Its hard to push into it. Now I need to pull it all out and let it start growing some more.SO I give this light 2 thumbs up. I think if u need a light for your sump it is well worth 26 bucks. 

In my experience blasting light of whatever sort gets you the first 90%, everything else is the last 10%.  I've used clamp lights, rope lights, LED lights, and a couple other things.  More light seems to result in better macro growth.

After watching a BRS Investigates video on how different refugium lighting options perform and seeing how well purple light grows but not wanting to spend $300 on a Kessil H380 I found the Tunze Eco Chic 8831 and it has worked amazingly well.  I now have this huge, thick, dense ball of chaeto and have to give a third of it to the LFS nearly every week because it fills the chamber of the sump!  And it's waterproof.