Frogspawn Offspring?

Grant

Premium Member
So today I was looking at my tank from the side, and saw some movement on the rock a few inches under my Frogspawn... it was on the back side of the rock, and not easy to see, but once I managed to get a look it appears that my Frogspawn has... spawned? There's a small "baby" Frogspawn, maybe the size of a nickel, growing out of a slight depression in the rock. This is the best pic I could get due to the location.

[attachment=0]New Frogspawn.jpg[/attachment]

This was actually from last week, and I'm just now getting around to posting it. I was worried that it wouldn't get enough light under the bigger coral, but so far it seems to be doing just fine.

I found one of those a few months back as well. It was in the sand, so I mounted it on a plug. It has not grown much, but it is still in the shadow of the larger colony.

@DFW wrote:
I found one of those a few months back as well. It was in the sand said:
I might try to move it at some point if it starts to look like it's not doing good, but because the base is down in a recessed part of the rock in the back I'm not going to try to get it out yet. That's one of the larger rocks in my tank and my Goby lives under it so I really don't want to move it unless I absolutely have to. If it's still there and looks good when I start moving things to a bigger tank then I'll decide if I want to move it. Or maybe I'll just turn the rock around in the new tank so it's on the front and I can see it. [smilie=smile.gif]

It's probably trying to grow a stem using the hole to keep it still. I'd wait to mess with it until you see a stem has formed.

@Tabi1720 wrote:
It's probably trying to grow a stem using the hole to keep it still. I'd wait to mess with it until you see a stem has formed. said:
I'll definitely wait. It's going to be a while still before I'm even close to having a bigger tank ready, and I'm not moving the rock it's on until then. Once I get to that point I'll see if it looks like it has a stem and decide what I want to do with it.