Frogspawn cracked lengthwise

David Gibson

Premium Member
I purchased a two headed frogspawn frag on Friday. After acclimating it and getting it into the QT tank, I found that the skeleton of one head is cracked lengthwise. I didn't see it cracked in the bag, but there were no bumps or anything that would have damaged it since I got it.

As of today, it looks like tissue is all that's holding the two pieces together and the split is right down the middle. That head is looking pretty bad off, but I'd like to try to save it if possible.

Is it better to secure the two halves together with a rubber band and hope for the best, or is it possible to frag across the mouth of the head like you would an anemone?

The second head doesn't appear to share any tissue, just the skeletal base, and has been fat and happy.

I had the exact same situation a couple months ago. I cut off the broken piece and mounted it on a plug. . they're both doing fantastic!

G

A rubberband or zip tie will work just fine.

That often happens if you frag a piece too close to the newly laid down skeleton of the head. It's happened a few times at the farm and I've used aquamend to try repair the crack or at least keep it as whole as possible. That seems to work well and I've only lost one head in the long run.

Monday night I took the rubber band off and used superglue gel to secure the halves back together. As of last night, it seemed to be doing a lot better. A good 3/4 of that polyp was extended and inflated. There is still some that is shrunken and very dark colored, but it is just on one side, near the split. I'm telling myself not to worry for a couple of more days to give it time to recover from the stress of me handling it while gluing.

I'm starting to think that it's going to be just fine. Now I just wonder how it's doing since it swells up like a balloon about to pop, which in the grand scheme of things is nice if that's all I'm worried about.