Fragging?

I have a rock with 80+ aussie lord acain polyps. I was thinking about fragging some peices off but i have never done it before and dont know how. I dont want to harm the corals. so i was just wondering if enyone could tell me how?

I've never fragged acans before, but I've read it's best done with a band saw. Even cutting right through a polyp won't hurt it, and the frag will continue to grow.

You mention it's on a rock though. How big is the rock? Can you pry the colony off the rock?

I found a vid on it. but i cant imagin it dosent hurt the coral but he is the profesional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xd0wwYX9rY

Oh, it hurts the coral. Thankfully most corals are pretty tolerant of physical stress. I think the game is more about conditioning and recovery than it is about cutting.

@TWycoff15 wrote:
[I]@joelq wrote:[/I][quote="I've never fragged acans before said:
how would i pry it"]

I was assuming you had glued the original colony to the rock, and that's what I meant about prying it off. Normally, if the colony hasn't grown too big yet, you can easily pry it off the rock by hand.

I think the guy i bought it from just had a few acans on a big rock and it spread. it Is on a rock that is probley 3-4 pounds

I have fragged many corals and would not suggest taking any LPS coral face down into a towel - which I would hope is soaking wet with tank water - and prying/pushing down into pieces.
He is correct to Dremmel from the back.
I usually hold the coral when doing this.
After the cut is made - hit the cut section lighting against a table edge or floor till the crack reaches the flesh.
Use a sharp razor blade to cut the flesh.
Place frag in water with a frag supplement like Replenish.

@steelcaveman wrote:
I have fragged many corals and would not suggest taking any LPS coral face down into a towel - which I would hope is soaking wet with tank water - and prying/pushing down into pieces. He is correct to Dremmel from the back. I usually hold the coral when doing this. After the cut is made - hit the cut section lighting against a table edge or floor till the crack reaches the flesh. Use a sharp razor blade to cut the flesh. Place frag in water with a frag supplement like Replenish. said:
i was thinking what if i yoused a dremel extension and cut it under water to reduce heat? would a lfs carry replenish probley?

I would be a bit afraid for my safety cutting under water.
You will need to have a good grip on the coral and the Dremmel so they do not slip.