Fragging zoos for propagation

melev

Club President
Staff member
Board of Directors
Sponsor
A few nights ago, I took a small colony of zoanthids from my Prop section that were doing well, and worked to cut them up to 2-5 polyps per piece. Then each little frag was glued to a small pebble or tiny rock, something with just enough weight to keep it from moving. Yesterday when I checked on them, each one was opening up.

My goal is to get these little guys growing as my brood stock so that I can share more zoos with others in the future.

mean_green_broodstock.jpg
alt="">[/list]

OoOo. . hey can you explain further how you fragged them. I tried taking one zoa out of my beautiful pink rock and . .well it didn't go well and I see to have lost it in my tank somewhere. You used. .expoy putty to glue them? I've heard razor blade and shave them off?

Can you give further details on how you did this? I'd love to start as well. Nathan's pink zoas are the bomb.

Using bone cutters (look like wire cutters), I cut right under the zoanthid polyps to keep just enough rubble and not damage the base of the polyps.

These were dried by placing them on a folded up papertowel, then super glue gel was applied to the bottom side. The rock pieces were sprayed with some accellerator to speed up the gluing process. Each zoa frag was glued to the rock and placed in a container of tank water until I could put them in the propagation zone again.

something that should be noted is that zoos contain toxins....wash your hands after handling or wear gloves. There was a guy on RC whose dog ate some zoos while he was fragging and his dog ended up dying.

P.S. I have always wanted some mean greens but never see that color variation other than pics on here :?