Forum etiquette question

jccaclimber

Premium Member
I'm a big fan of the classifieds here. ?I find a lot of cool stuff and get to meet other members through that section of the web page. ?However every now and then I find something that seems really out of line on price. ?In this case it is a coral that the seller is asking several times higher than what this item sells for at DNA, who?I normally consider one of the higher priced places around town in terms of live items. ?(Note, this is not a complaint about DNA, I'm a happy customer of theirs, they just fit well in this example).I don't want to go picking a fight in someone else's thread, but it seems that one of the following is going on:1) There is something special about the seller's product I don't recognize.2) They have no idea that they are that far above market price.3) Taking advantage of an uneducated seller.In case 1, starting the discussion I could learn something. ?Case 2 and the seller might want to know. ?Case 3 and you protect the community.What would you do?

Not sure of the official stance here but most forums prefer you take it to pm's.?? I know a few years back someone caused an uproar posting in other seller's threads because they were selling "named" corals at a much cheaper price than normal, and that person didn't like it because he then couldn't sell his corals at a higher price.

The worst is the inverse. ?If you are selling a high end item. ?Lets say a tank. ?Custom. ?It cost you 8K new. ? You post it and as for almost less than half. ? Then there is an imbecile who wants it, but they berate you about its value and tell you how they can get the same thing for 100 dollars. ?That's beyond annoying. ?On the other hand, if someone prices themselves out of range of what is considered fair market value, no one is going to purchase anything off of them. ?Some people have inflated views of themselves and the value of there corals. ?Most people comb the for sales looking for deals, and lets be honest with each other, hobbiests expect "hobbiests prices". ?I remember the day when you would trade and give away your corals. ? This hobby is rewarding but not in the financial way. ?You will NEVER make money off of your tank no matter what you do. ?The great myths of reefing. ?

?You are not allowed to challenge the asking price no matter how out of range you believe it is. If you want to discuss/debate the asking price take it off line. We encourage?post such as great deal, or good value if you have first hand knowledge of the item.?

Servo, that is why I have never posted anything for sale here.? Seems like it isn't worth the hassle.?? You have all the people that want you to give it to them and from what I've read over the years it looks like 30 to 50% of the people are no shows when they say they want it.? I've got several items that I've let set for years because of this.