Fluval Edge Fresh Water Planted Aquarium

Well I have been looking at these aquariums a little too long at Aquatic Design, so i finally had to take the challange. I first wanted to make this little puppy a salt water tank, but after looking at the top glass....I'm thinking I wanted to make this thing fresh water so I dont have allot of maintenance.

Well Aquatic Design got these new little kits in for fresh water Nano's. Fluval has come out with a C02 kit and substrate and all kinds of stuff. I'm sure you have seen it. This is the substrate that i bought for the planted aquarium. The substrate for planted aquariums today are way better than what i used to try and use like 20 years ago.

Well after getting the substrate packed with Nitrogen and minerals....oh and of course lowering my ph to about 6.5 [smilie=smile.gif] . I couldn't resist in getting the C02 kit. This is my new baby. the kit comes with a C02 canister....BBGUN size [smilie=wink.gif] a diffuser that goes in the aquarium and valve. I'm stocked locked and loaded!

Well after buying all of this stuff, I had to aquascape. I purchased a few pieces of malaysian wood and some aquatic plants for starts and started filling the aquarium. Oh by the way.... this doesn't take too long when you put your RO DI unite beside your tank.

Well after getting it all put together and filled with water i was ready to go. The stock light for this... the standard MR11's are pretty linear in the light they produce. i dont like it so its go to go. Here is a picture with it full of water.

After I filled the aquarium up. Of course i had to dose the plants with C02. you will have to wait for the diffuser to fill with water first. Then you can fill them with C02 and let the C02 diffuse into the aquarium. here is a pic of the C02 hooked up. You can also see the filter on the nano. Its a nice filter and very quite. I think I can push the limits on inhabitants with this filter. It looks like it is built for like a 10 or 15 gallon aquarium.

Well as you could guess, I really couldn't wait to get some fish in here. I purchased two shrimp, two catfish and two discus. This is a picture of my two new torquise discus.

Im really liking the new setup. I'm measuring the C02 diffusion rate from one chamber at this time. i think I"m going to add two more red apricot discuss fish later....Which means eventually I'm going to have to get a bigger planted aquarium...but i'm enjoying the starter kit.

I dont like the light on this system but once my led's come in that I ordered I think I will be happy. The new fluval flora is out now. It comes with everything you see I bought for cheaper but the aquarium is more vert that horzontal. I guess it depends on what you like. I will keep you informed of the mods and progress of this new adventure.

Very cool. I like these Fluval Edge's a lot. I've been considering trying one out, but I'm worried about cleaning it. I guess if you have a nano magnet cleaner, then it may be ok and you wouldn't have to stick your hand down inside the tiny hole. Seems like it would be hard to get anything in and out of there.

Anyways, look great, good luck, keep us updated...

Thanks,
Yeah I have to say that I'm going to have to get a magnet. The little hole could be a big issue if you wanted to clean the glass allot. That is why I also wanted to go fresh water. Ithink the new fluval flora gets rid of all those issues. Its a rimless aquarium. I dont think the filter is as nice though. I'm hoping I dont have to vacuum the gravel....I thnk that would be a challange. I shouldn't have to do that If I get the plants in here right and a good cleaning crew. That is what I'm working at.

I have to say, I forgot how quickly you can put one of these fresh water aquairums together. Its pretty fun!

Well I found a few different kinds of moss to add to the aquarium.....and i will have to say. I didn't realize how much fun a planted aquarium would be. Now that I have been searching for mosses and plants, I think I'm going to get a bigger aquarium say 30 gallons or so for more aquascaping. I have some idieas for bigger rocks and wood. Anyway I grabed the light from my sick tank and placed on top of this one to see what it might look like after my mods come in. This is what I have so far.

That looks fantastic. I have always been hesitant to do a planted tank because I didnt want to do a full co2 setup, and this is the first time I have seen such a tiny co2 system.

Where did you nab the little co2 kit from?

I got the kit from Aquatic Design. Its pretty cool. I'm already looking at getting a 33gallon planted. I guess this was just a started tank.

Well I decided to scale the 33 gallon down quite a bit, and decided on doing a 13gallon(5% scale), replica (fresh water) of my rimless 255. I started the build today and actually built a stand. I found like a 13 gallon rimless at DNA this weekend and had to start the build. So I guess I will have to say good buy to the fluval edge. The fluval edge was on my kitchen counter top and it had to go.(If I was going to build a stand it was going to be for a rimless)....since the fluval was in the way of cooking and all, I guess this was the best decission. [smilie=sadsmile.gif] .

Anyway I guess I will put the fluval in the for sale forum and start a new build for my discus 13 gallon. [smilie=wink.gif].

Its still a new build no matter how you look at it. [smilie=smile.gif]

can i have it?! no seriously, can i have it! that is awesome, i have always wanted a planted tank but didnt want another chore and a small nano one like this looks like it would be a perfect option!

dang, lil baby discus in a 6 gal, they look awesome. Did you plan to move them pretty soon though? When mine where that small they nearly tripled in size within a couple of months