Flame Hawkfish

Heath

Membership Expired
Maybe I am just asking for trouble, but I really want a flame hawkfish when I get my other tank running. In it, will be my fiancees favorite invert, quagmire the cleaner shrimp.

I dont think she would forgive me if the hawk ate him. What are my chances of making this work?

I have 2 cleaner shrimp and my flame hawk never goes near them but I am pretty sure he ate my peppermint shrimp. I would suggest you get a really small one at first. True Percula almost always has small ones.

We've had our flame hawk for about a month now. Its a really neat fish, very quirky and full of personality. We have 2 cleaner shrimp, about 10 snails and 10 hermits (give or take), an emerald crab and a strawberry crab. We've even got some amazing coral and a total of 6 fish (all very small). Alot going on in 29 gallons but looks pretty sweet.

Anywho, our flamehawk hasn't messed with a single thing and minds his own business. We were worried about the same thing so we kept a close eye on him for a while. He was the last of the 6 that we added. For the most part he perches on a rock or a hard coral and swims around occasionally. Perches and overlooks everything mostly. But he keeps more to himself than anything we've got. Hasn't harmed coral, crabs, shrimp, snails or even picked a fight with the fish. And hes actually the biggest one we have.

A very cool fish and fun one to watch. I'm sure they're all different but I'd recommend this one for entertainment value. Our fish guy at DNA told us (after buying the thing and coming home and reading all the negative reviews about them) that 95% of the time a flamehawk should be harmless. Good luck :)