Fish in overflow

bwig333

Premium Member
Have a bowfront with back corner overflow with return and durso(spelling). I bought a lawn mower blenny yesterday. Today I got home from work and he was no where to be found. I checked in and around the tank, looked in most rock crevices, and finally in the overflow. Well that is exactly where he is. very bottom between pipe and wall. He is alive and well, but I do not have any clue how to get him out and back into DT. Any ideas would be great. too tight to reach in with anything I have and get him. Thanks in advance.

I had a tail spot blenny and orange striped goby do the same thing. I had to use a small net with the goby, and with the blenny I lifted the overflow pipe and flushed him into a 5g bucket.

We have the same setup as you. We have a royal gramma that goes in it all the time. We've learned that he will come back out when he's ready. So we just let him do his thing.
We also have a silencer on our so there is no way he can possibly go down the pipe from there

thanks, I got the fish out. Took about 20 minute with a scraper and net...I'm a little stubborn. He is back in DT, will see how long it last. Thanks again guys.

In case this happens in the future, and for my personal knowledge, what about using something like a 1.5" piece of flex tube to suck the fish out of the overflow into a bucket?

i had marc make me acrylic covers for mine as i have had to deal with multiple fish in there. best thing i ever did!

Mike, thanks that will be easier in the future, than what i did. Wes, i was afraid they would then jump out of tank if it is covered. Have you had a problem with that?...My tank does not have a cover or a hood. My lights hang from above. May have to look into a cover, if I have a kamikazi(sp) fish.