First stab at hard coral

tthomas81

Membership Expired
Hello everyone,

I am about to upgrade from a Biocube 29 to a 65 gallon bowfront tank and need help with lighting. I had PCs in the biocube and my polyps and zoas were fine but I am now ready to venture into sps and lps.

What type and how much lighting would be enough to sustain a healthy tank?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2 150w Metal halides with flourescent accent or led accent, a large bank of T5s, or and all LED setup.

I would do the halides over the T5s though, and if money was no object, LEDS over halides.

Go with leds and not having to upgrade in awhile. There is a group buy happening soon on the groupbuy forum...Im probably going to get on it as well...

Could you rig up a hanging light from the ceiling? Look at a few tank build threads. I have seen some pics where they hung the heatsink directly from the ceiling or from shelf brackets mounted to the wall.

Not having a canopy isnt much of an issue. You would just need to explore alternate methods of mounting or suspending the fixture.

I prefer no canopy for leds, since there is a good chance you wont have to run fans to cool them!

I did a diy fixture for my solana (details in the diy forum), and just made 2 L brackets that bolted to the stand to hold it over the tank.