Firefish parasite

MarcoG

Membership Expired
Has anyone dealt with this? If so, what can I do to get rid of it?

Serpentisaccus magnificae

From what I understand the curly part is just the egg sack and the parasitic copepod is buried in the fish.

[attachment=1]IMG_0280.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]IMG_0281.JPG[/attachment]

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/disease.html

Possible that you might QT the fish and try some copper if you are so inclined. Seems specific to the host. Now I'm off to go check my gobies.....

Yeah I've read page after page about it. It seems that no one knows how to remove the internal parasite without killing the fish.

Posted your images on VIN (Veterinary Information Network kinda a facebook/google wrapped together for vets around the world) to see if anyone in the aquatic/pathology world have any insight. Usually it takes a few days to get a reply from people so I'll keep you posted. If they have any further questions I'll forward them here.
Thanks
Alan

Got a reply and an aquatic pathologist vet in California recommends treating similar to Anchor worms in Koi. The drugs he recommends is called Dimilin (difluorobenzuron) or dylox (trichlorfon) plus copper sulfate. I'm asking representatives to see costs and availability as right now I've not heard of these specifically. I think Dylox can be bought online as garden pesticide but I haven't had a chance to look into that yet. The Dimilin is safer but has more resistance problems and the dylox/copper is more effective but a narrower therapeutic safety index. Both treatments would take about a month and needs to stay in quarantine during that time.
If quarantining for that period of time is not feasible then recommends cleaner wrasses and cleaner shrimp as they can pester the embedded copepod enough to make it leave the host.

Okay so yeah Dylox you can buy at Home Depot and other places. Let me know if you want to know doses.
Dimilin is very hard to get because of the EPA but if you are serious about using it I can get some.

Sorry to hear that! [smilie=crying.gif] Are you thinking of getting another Firefish? Are you going to try the regular white species?