filtration advice

My 24 gallon nano cube been up for about 7 months now. Two days ago I removed the two big rectangular sponges from my back chambers because of detritous buildup and possibly nitrate buildup. Now, I have lots of free-floating particles in my water and there's nothing to trap them. I do not use a protien skimmer and am not really planning on ever getting one. Should I keep one sponge in place, and rotate them frequently? If so, how should I clean it when I take it out and how often should I rotate them?

they cost about 10 bucks at the LFS.

they are white sock type filters.

come in differant filtration rates.

I hve 3 and rotate them and clean them aout every few days.

Is there some kind of drip plate on top of the middle chamber? I have a Bio Cube. There is a drip plate where the water goes from chamber 1 to 2 and I just put filter floss on top. I replace the floss every few days.

my back chambers I have emptied out and put live rock in t the first and in the second I have live rock.. then i put the false bottom back in and I grow algae on top of that..

I take the filter sock and put it right on top.. As you can see it is not perfect but it works well... It is already time to take that one out and clean it... after i pick all the pods off...

Just before any ask those are pvc pipes I use to periodically cycle the water from my sump to the main tank9in this case the main tank is my office tank of 29 Gallon - sump/refuge is another 20 Gallos. ...

Once i get the drill bits and drill it it will not look like that...

Water hose ..

I take them out to the drive way and put the water hose on jet and spray them off...

sometimes i put them in the washing machice and wsh them then take them out and hose them off...