F1SH's 30G Rimless Reef

Well it has been 3 years since I sold off my last tank which was a 60g Oceanic Cube. I really like the depth that the cube offers while still keeping the overall volume to a more maintainable level. I always regretted selling off my entire setup, and giving away almost all of my misc. fish gear. What really got me motivated was my 18 month son and his love for animals. We were at the zoo and he just loved the giant Koi tank they had at the children's section. I'm hoping that he will really enjoy the tank and while keeping him safe from the tank and the tank safe from him.

I found this new tank a couple of weeks ago and it was listed as a 24x24x16 tank which was almost exactly what I was looking for. Well after committing to the tank I go to pick it up and noticed it was a little short and come to find out it is actually only 24x24x12 tank. Overall I still like the tank, but right out of the gate I can see that the height will be an ongoing issue. I may have to eventually custom order a tank along those lines. I did however build the stand so it should be able to accommodate a 30x24 tank and it can definitely handle much more height/weight as it is very overbuilt. I even told myself after my last build that I wouldn't overbuild, but I couldn't resist a strong frame and heck at $2 per 2x4 who can resist adding more right? After all for only 30G the 3/4 inch plywood alone could support that weight.

So here is the start of what I hope is a another long term affair into reef keeping. I met a lot of great people in my long run here on the board under "Salty75" and look forward to seeing all the new faces. I had to start a new member name because apparently after being idle for a long period you get purged from the membership. For the new system I plan on a mixed reef tank and several reef friendly fishies, yet to be determined. I already have almost all of the equipment purchased and am just waiting for the stand and aquarium to be completed. So here is my list of where I am now and I'll try and keep posting on what I am planning on.

• Tank: 30g 24x24x12, predrilled (in awful spots midway down tank but I think I can work with it)
• Stand: Weight approximately 2 tons, 30x24x36 framed in 2x4's and will soon be skinned in 3/4 oak plywood (I had that already in garage already or else I would use 1/2 inch)
• Sump: Standard 15 gallon tank 24.5x13x13 with two dividers that are slanted slightly for water to pour in to middle return. It is skimmer>return<refuge with the drain going into skimmer area and small pump running from return through canister to refuge which flows back into return.
• Skimmer: SWC model SCA-303 which is basically a Bubble Magus cone clone
• Light: 120w LED enclosure with active fan cooling. This appears to be identical to the “evolution” series lights but at a cheaper price point. It uses 40 3w Bridgelux bulbs.
• Controller: I have a ReefKeeper Lite (RKL) basic model that I haven’t quite decided what all I want to use it for (open for suggestions).
• Substrate: I already have some live sand and I intend on running about ½ to ¾ inch deep in tank. I also have total now about 40 lbs. of live rock curing in a salt tank with some snails keeping it all tidy.
• ATO: Already built the switch plate from acrylic that will hang over the side of the sump and this will also hold my RKL temp probe. I have room for a 5 gallon standard jug and will feed it by a Tom’s aqualifter.
• Pumps: Circulation will be provided by a Koralia 750 and hopefully soon Tunze nanostreams (6025 or 6045). I plan on going low flow for the sump, so maybe as small as 300 gph, still deciding on this.

I’m sure I left off a lot of information but I plan on trying to keep this posted as my system evolves. I do have several years experience with saltwater tanks, but am always open for great ideas and areas for improvement so don’t be afraid to offer advice or constructive criticism. I also forgot to mention I do have a JBJ 12g nano up and finished with it's cycle so it is nice to have this as a holding tank as I find suitable inhabitants.

Here are a few crummy cell phone pics.....
* my Shih-Tzu "Juliet" also made an appearance in the pic. She is clearly not amused with the return of the fish tank.

another...[attachment=1]Plano-20120304-00033.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]Plano-20120304-00032.jpg[/attachment]

This is the System as it stands now. I added a 4 inch solid oak trim on the top that the tank will sit on. I also started and nearly finished up the light rack tonight and the overflow "casing" that I had to build since the tank was drilled so low (prior to purchase). I also don't like that the return is drilled so low because now I have to worry about siphons. The light rack I will go into more detail when I have time, but it is really very simple. I hate that the wires on the fixture are so long so I intend on trimming those down substantially because I can always adjust the rack. Oh and yes the tank is horribly dirty after sitting in garage during stand build. I swear it looks good when cleaned up :)

@DaveG99 wrote:
I like shallow tanks. They are great for growing SPS! said:
* DaveG99 - my setup looks fairly close to your new one actually (which looks very nice BTW)

Yeah, just wish the tank was maybe 16 inches tall, which after 1.5 inches of clearance on the top and .5 to 1 inches of sand it would leave me 14 inches of usable space. I like the stand height, which makes it were I don't have to bend down far to see the front glass, but I can still see from the top down due to clearance from light rack.

Considering how shallow the tank is how much flow do you guys think I should have in there for a mixed tank? I have a 750 gph Koralia Evolution now, plus low flow return, and I was thinking I probably need one more powerhead. Any suggestions?

An mp10 would be ideal for that tank. Takes up very little space and is fully adjustable.

If your going to add another koralia Id probably add a koralia nano 425 because its small. You have to make the most out of your space in a small tank.

I'll double the mp10 suggestion. They just take up so much less tank space.

I think it looks fantastic thus far. I do think the light fixture is overkill for a mixed reef, and you really need a deeper tank to house anything that's considered low light. I know you wanted deeper, but with the equipment list you have the tank is the only thing not perfect. I'd go ahead and look at a new tank now. If not, it's still going to be gorgeous!

I have that same skimmer... love it so far. Have had a little bit of trouble dialing it in (it's a wet skim most of the time) but all in all.. it has done the job.

Glad to have you back on the board! Let me know if you're in the old 'hood...happy to trade frags :) I still have the two chromis from the tear down.

No update in a while as keeping an 18 month old boy in check seems to take my evenings up. Here is the stand "skinned" for now and I hope to stain it tonight or tomorrow time willing. Bone head move on my part because i went to HD with every intention of buying red oak 1/2 plywood and bought birch. I noticed it while I was having the guy rip it down to size, but by then it was too late. I think it will still look great once stained, so not too worried yet.

I'm looking for ideas for the front door. My first guess is to use the same 1/2 plywood and trim it with some solid wood, maybe 2 inch strip, with some overlap over the cutout. Any suggestions?

For me the door would depend on the other furniture in the room. You could find a wood working shop and just have them run the edges through their router for you. I couldn't imagine it would cost much.

Looks great thus far!

Update: The tank was filled last night and I transferred the live sand and live rock that I was holding in another tank to keep it "alive". I tried to clean at least half of the live sand to keep the ammonia down, but still keep some alive. Overall I'm very pleased with how it all turned out, with exception the stand still has no doors. The overflow I built keeps the water level exactly one inch and the tank is very level. I think I actually have too much live rock and sand at this point, so need to thin it out since I think I am going with the minimalist look on rockwork.

I will take a pic once the sandstorm clears up.

Very interested to see what it looks like! My dad is looking for a similar tank. Would love to come check it out sometime! I think you're in west Plano as well!

@Hook'em2006 wrote:
Very interested to see what it looks like! My dad is looking for a similar tank. Would love to come check it out sometime! I think you're in west Plano as well! said:
I'll try and post a picture tonight or tomorrow but sure you are welcome to come and look at it anytime. Nothing exciting in the tank yet but hopefully soon enough depending on the length of the cycle.

Awesome. Can't wait to see pics. If you transferred any livestock with it I'd put some purigen in a high flow area or dose some bacteria to help keep the cycle to a minimum. I couldn't tell from the post if anything other than rock and sand was transferred.

I love the minimal rock setups as well! :)

i saw this tank in person a few days ago and it looks awesome! everything looks great in it. the sump also has a great setup and it's dead silent...most quiet tank ive ever seen!