Fish Think Pink

Club Secretary
Staff member
Board of Directors
Bacteria.png

Dysbiosis and the Pathobiome – A Molecular Pathway for Coral Disease​

SALEM CLEMEMS
2 DAYS AGO

In previous articles, we briefly explored the idea of the coral holobiont and what a healthy microbiome looks like. In this article, I will provide a brief overview of the microbiome of a diseased coral and the steps that cause the transition from healthy to ill.

What is a pathobiome?​

As one of my favorite professors once told me (last Wednesday), “One of the best ways to understand new words is to look at their epidemiology.” In Greek, “pathos” means to suffer while “bio” means life, and “ome” refers to a mass or group. Thus, “pathobiome” can be translated to the “group of life causing suffering.” In this instance, it’s the life causing the suffering of corals. In contrast to the beneficial holobiont, the pathobiont is the coral microbiome once it enters a state of dysbiosis.

Here’s the story of how corals begin to fall apart at a microscopic level.
Several factors lead to coral getting ill – all of which coalesce into a positive feedback loop for stress, which eventually causes a pathogenic event.

For the whole article, including how 'good' can transition over into 'bad', then please go to this other thread: