Drip Loops and Ground Fault Protection

digital_gods

Membership Expired
I wanted to share some electrical advice to new and existing hobbyists about the importance of electrical protection. To start with basics, water is conducive of electricity. When salt is added to the water, it becomes highly conductive. With that said, any time you are working around water and electricity, you want to keep them separate. To prevent your power strip from getting water in them and shorting out, you create a drip loop. A drip loop is where the power cable drops below the outlet for in the event of water running down the cord, it drips off at the loop and not into the outlet.

Ground Fault Protection (GFP) plug are the plugs you see commonly installed by bathroom sinks. These plugs are designed to sense a short and flip an internal breaker to cut off electricity. For the plugs by your aquariums, I highly recommend for everyone upgrade to these type of plugs to help prevent electrical fires.

From recent experience, it is no fun trying to track down a burning smell 4am.
e7705223d463bed4076078788e46ab93.jpg
alt="">
fa730902ceda72421628b9df20708471.jpg
alt="">

Thanks for the reminder. I'm in the setup stage and hadn't considered a Gfci - it's on the list now for sure.