DOSING

Hello everyone,
I want to bring up a question to the table which has probably been discussed a million times and what I'm looking for I guess is just a primitive answer i guess. The question is for a friend of mine and I just don't want to give him bad information I guess. I currently have a DSPS system and I do not dose anything out of the ordinary. I just do weekly water changes and dose the big 3 on regular dosing pumps, definately nothing special. My friend is having issues keeping corals alive of any kind. I went over and i checked out his system I noticed he was dosing vodka. Bioload on fish was pretty heavy but not many corals and very few hard corals.

-So here is what told him. I said to him that if I was him i would stop dosing the vodka. I said that I THINK the objective of the carbon source is so the bacteria could compete thus the biological filter would start bringing nutrients down. Now, he does not feed his corals at all which brings me to the next thing. I said that again I THINK the objective of the vodka at the end of things is to bring down the nutrients so then he could come in and put in the good (i.e. feed the reef).

-The question, did I give him bad info? Is that along the lines of what is somewhat suppose to happen? Again, personally do not dose vodka but I feed my corals almost every evening on a 125g w/ 9 fish (3 which are tangs). I just do a lot of water changes and parameters are actually pretty stable. If it is along the right lines (what I told him) does anyone have any advice? According to him (lets assume) all his parameters are good with slight po4 which most of us show and apprx: 500g and the vodka is on a drip. I just personally think its to much and after i talked to him i couldn't help thinking about the lack of knowledge i have on the probiotics subject as well. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance. -GROD

I think the vodka dosing helps bring down phosphates. At least the few times I have dosed it that is why I was dosing it. I only did like 1 shot of vodka for a 90 gallon everyday. and 1 shot for me. Also, has to be a vodka made with carbon not the cheap stuff IIRC.

@Burbarry wrote:
I think the vodka dosing helps bring down phosphates. At least the few times I have dosed it that is why I was dosing it. I only did like 1 shot of vodka for a 90 gallon everyday. and 1 shot for me. Also said:
Moral of the story: No, I didn't drink alone. The tank was drinking with me. [smilie=rofl.gif]

@Titus wrote:
[I]@Burbarry wrote:[/I][quote="I think the vodka dosing helps bring down phosphates. At least the few times I have dosed it that is why I was dosing it. I only did like 1 shot of vodka for a 90 gallon everyday. and 1 shot for me. Also said:
Moral of the story: No, I didn't drink alone. The tank was drinking with me. [smilie=rofl.gif]"]

You know it LOL. also, wanted to mention my phosphates were close to 1ppm when I was dosing. After about a week they would be under .25. That is when I cut back on dosing. I found that my phosphates were coming in because of my RO system being hosed wrong from factory.

I would have him get back to basic's and make sure he has the fundamental's down first. Make sure his top off water is good and ro/di, make sure his big three are in range and he has a way to keep them stable. Make sure his nitrates and phosphates are being managed thru adequate filtration and water changes but sounds like he bneeds to stop the vodka dosing asap. On a system that large if he has high phosphates, lanthanum chloride would be better option imo. Have him get his water tested for copper also just to make sure that isn't an issue.

Cheers,