does zenia bother sps?

psteeleb

Premium Member
I positioned a yellow mille about 2-3" away from the swinging arms of a xenia. The polyp extension on the mille appears to have receded, my main suspect is the xenia but I wasn't sure if xenia put out chemical or other warfare.

It could also be that the mille was about 10" below the surface and needed to get adjusted to a lower light intensity then where it was at.

I since moved the mille to another location but am still wondering if anyone has had issues with xenia other then it being very prolific.

No abnormal readings and all other SPS are doing fine.

The only threat that Xenia pose is simply competition for light..(which BTW, the xenia will win if allowed to). At least that has been my experience.
Charley

Yes it does. I had a waving hand xenia that was rubbing up against a small portion of an unknown sps that I had. The area that was rubbed ended up rtn'ing.

all leathers produce toxins. Sps are highly susceptible to them. If you have a toadstool/colt/whatever have you upstream from an SPS colony, chances are, that colony with RTN or STN VERY soon.

SPS prefer PRISTINE nutient deficiant water to thrive. They prefer sunlight to actual food for their energy, unlike most other corals and invertibrates in the reefs.

If you run tests on the Great Barrier Reef, you will see there is practically nothing in the water (NOx, POx, SOx wise), and this is what the reefs are used to. When humans and runoff come into play, that's when reefs DIE. SPS do not like anything in their water column between them and the sun.

Combining SPS and leathers is just a generally unwise thing to do in the same habitat. Yes it can be done with enough control of the system and a damn good skimmer, but for the average aquariast, dont try to mix the two.