Diy tank

chrisT

Membership Expired
[Hey everyone.

I was wondering if anyone had tried putting together an acrylic tank,or if it is worth the cost vs cost+labor. I figured it is worth a shot. Whats the worst that can happen, I lose the money spent on the acrylic and I spill a hundred gallons of water all over my back porch. (If it would be worth the savings, still have some price research to do.) Thanks for any input.

Chris]

[Making a tank that is display-worthy is very difficult, and even with all the "experience" I've gotten over the past year, I'm still not to the point where I'll make my own.

Sumps are a different matter, because you aren't looking through it nearly as closely. Sure, you check out the refugium and inspect your pumps, but the seams aren't very important visually.

On the display, you want perfect edges perfect seams, strength and a degree of pride. I'm not there yet, but I'm getting closer after each new project.

1/2" material would be mandatory for 100g tank. If it wasn't over 20" tall, you could go with 3/8".

And then again, what about the issue of scratching acrylic...

You see, I've given this some thought. Glue is another consideration. Weld-On #40 is the strongest, but it is a two-part solution I've never used. I like using #3.

I'd love to make a new one to replace my 29g, and incorporate all the bells and whistles... Drilling it so it is reef-ready, as well as a closed loop setup, plus perhaps adding a couple of shelves here and there to set frags on/in.... But I don't feel I've got it down to where it will look great. Crappy inside corners will be problematic visually as well as a good place for algae to grow --- and equally hard to get out.

I can assure you that you will only be out the time and money, like you said. Plan on building at least 2. The first one will be like a practice run, the second one much better.

Feel free to visit my site, linked below to see tons of info about acrylic.]