DeanneL's new 150 gallon

DeanneL

Membership Expired
Upgrading my 55 gallon to 150. Need all the help/advice/suggestions I can get from ya'll!

Current set up:
IMG_0261.jpg
alt="">

Got the 150 gallon tank, stand and canopy from another member. It's 60 inches long with a center overflow.

IMG_0263.jpg
alt="">

It's sitting over the in corner of the living room for now. It will eventually be where the 55 is now.

It has three bulkheads in the overflow: 1 for the drain and two 3/4 inch returns.

IMG_0264.jpg
alt="">

I was able to get the two return lines off to clean it up but not the center one. One of the bulkheads was broken so I've ordered new ones. Should I try harder to get the center one off, or just leave it?

I'm not loving the big black box that will be dead center of the display. My idea is to create an overflow box cover out of egg crate, live rock rubble, sand, zip ties and cement. As you can see from the photo, there would not be a lot of swimming room if I just placed rock in front of it.
IMG_0266.jpg
alt="">

Dead center of the tank is a little diffrent. I havent seen that before. The eggcrate and rock idea would work to mask it.

Tapatalk

Spent a lot of hours on my build this weekend. Dunked some marco rocks in acid (I read this helps keep phosphates/algae down later).

IMG_0277.jpg
alt="">

IMG_0276.jpg
alt="">

IMG_0278.jpg
alt="">

Proof that I neutralized the acid before I disposed of it:
IMG_0279.jpg
alt="">

Here is my framework for the rock overflow cover:

IMG_0280.jpg
alt="">

I tested out applying the cement first and then pressing small rocks into the cement.
IMG_0283.jpg
alt="">
I think the box will weigh a ton if I continue this way.

For the front panel, I zip-tied the rocks FIRST. Now I need to decide if I fill in with cement or some type of pond foam.

IMG_0282.jpg
alt="">

After lots of reading, I decided to go with this product:

IMG_0285.jpg
alt="">

Found it at Ace Hardware. AFter filling in between rocks with the foam, drying and trimming the excess foam, I brushed epoxy resin over the foam and sprinkled with sand. This is how it's looking so far. I'm liking it!

IMG_0286.jpg
alt="">

Getting really frustrated. Canopy had rusty, painted over hinges that would not stay open. I've replaced the hinges with three different kinds trying to get it right. The thing is full of holes! I think I finally got that issue resolved. Ended up with a piano hinge on top and locking leg supports inside the lid.

Next, drove all the way out to NRH to pick up a very nice sump from another member. Get it home and it wont fit through the doors of the stand! I'm so bummed.

Is there a middle support in the back you can remove to get the sump in? That's what I had to do to get mine in. It was a pretty easy job and only took a few minutes. The sump you bought is too nice to let go!

Sent via Tapatalk

I really like your thread so far but don't get too frustrated about the sump I am sure things will work out in the end.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Got the hinges and the lid support finally right. I don't like the gold but it's on top and you can't see it anyway (unless you're really tall!)

IMG_0290.jpg
alt="">

Traded my too big sump and got one that 4 inches shorter. It was a tight squeeze getting it in, but it fits.

IMG_0296.jpg
alt="">

Progress on my rock wall:

IMG_0295.jpg
alt="">

It's been a while since I've had to plumb a tank. I don't know if I did it right or if I'll have issues in the future. But here's how it looks. I haven't cemented anything yet, so I can change it.

IMG_0297.jpg
alt="">
IMG_0298.jpg
alt="">

Suggestions?

Transferred all fish, rock and water from old tank to new. I really like how the rocks look on the right side of 'Gibralter" (that's what we are calling the big rock thing in the middle). The left side looks like a pile of rocks:

IMG_0308.jpg
alt="">

Discovered that my MJ power head magnets dont work on 1/2 inch thick glass. Time to upgrade the powerheads anyway.