D.E. filter

blureef2

Membership Expired
Has anyone used a D.E. filter on their tank before? I am plannign to do an indopacific reef, lots of filter feeders like sponges and carnation corals, well I am planning to dose feed at night, when the skimmer shuts off. well i want the water to be clear during the day so I want to get a D.E. filter to polish the water during the day and reduce the nutrients... let me know what ya think....

lots of people feed like that and have crystal clear water without a micro filter (DE or other). I'd try without it as a mature tank with good flow should not need it.

I feed DT's and Marine snow twice a week. When I feed I shut down the main pump and skimmer for 3 hours. When things are turn back on the skimmer works a little extra to pull pull out the excess nutrients and the tank is clear again in a few hours. I have thousands of sponges, small feather dusters and other filter feeders in my system.

Hey thanks for the input. its not many ppl that keep them, at this point i got ppl telling me that its trial and error with sponges, and filter feeders. send me some picures if you can sometime pls...

ddier2020,

Since you are in Arlington, I'm guessing you have been to True Percula and checked out the display tank in the back of the store. I'm pretty sure this tank is skimmerless and is feed often to keep the non-photosynthetic corals happy.

I would check with them to find out how they have that system set up and what their feeding schedule is.

let me see if i can get these links from Marc's site to work. He took a couple pictures back in June of my system. the sponge was doing great until I didn't feed it the DT's for over two weeks. I thought it completely died off. Since I got back into a DT's feeding schedule, I'm now seeing small red sponges (3/8") that must be remnents of the main colony and they appear to be growing.

pete_orange_sponge.jpg
alt="">

this filter feeding gorg is doing great and didn't slow down one bit when I failed to feed DT's. When it is being feed the polyps extend out making it very fuzzy.

pete_gorg_purple.jpg
alt="">

I also have a bunch of different hitch hicking filter feeders that are posted on this site. They include feather dusters, other tube worms, a couple types of sponges and some coralmorphias. I may try and provide the links to them later.