cutting back a colt leather

We have this huge colt leather - it was a young whippersnapper a year ago and now it has grown into a massive beautiful coral. (see below)

We want to cut it back. Any suggestions? I thought I read that a colt is more of a problem to cut than a regular leather - more apt to get infection at the cut sites. Does anyone know if that is true? Anyone experienced in fragging a colt?
Thanks, Brenda

Aquar10-13-06colt-2.jpg
alt="">

Aquar10-13-06colt.jpg
alt="">

I would suggest making whole clean cuts with a razor blade or a scalpel off the rock. Just make your cuts simple and smooth/clean. I tie my leather frags with thread and by the time the leather attaches the thread can easily be broken. Looks like a nice healthy colt! Have fun with it!

If you can get the colt out of the tank to cut it, that would be much better. They tend to produce a lot of slime, which can ruin your tank.

I've cut mine out of the rocks with a simple razor blade, no problem. Just make sure you wear gloves! And if you leave even a small part behind, you have more stalks thatn when you started. (I cut mine completely out, I thought, and now have THREE stalks growing!)