Custom 212 build

Bluewater51

Membership Expired
Well this should be interesting. Ordered a new tank for delivery right after new year. Tank dimensions are 96 by 25 1/2 by 20 tall.  I know, I know, I feel everyone's head tilting sideways and thinking old Les has lost it.  But stop and think about the possibilities.  Here are some reasons for my insanity. First my lady is confined to a wheelchair, but can stand for short periods of time. She loves the hobby as much as I do and keeps the glass immaculate and does the testing on our three tanks we now have, and sees things I miss.(A LOT).  Second I'm an LPS guy. I love target feeding corals like acans, acanthophyllia, lobos...........well you get the idea. Third I'm going to light this tank with four AI Prime HDs. I love the flexibility and app control of these little guys, plus I'll keep a spare on hand so if one dies I can pop it on while the dead one is sent in for repair. These also will supply ample PAR at the 20 inch depth. Pic below shows some other stuff Ive got for the tank. Trigger Systems 39 sump, Eshopps skimmer rated for 300 gal.(not the one I wanted but will have to do till Nyos drops prices) biopellet reactor that will plumbed into skimmer, lights. Also bought a 20 lb.box of the new Stax rocks by Two little Fishes to play with. I'm hoping to create a center island of a bunch of different colored scolymias with some dendrophyllia thrown in with 10 inch clams on each side. Will post pics as this progresses.View attachment 3347

Very nice, can't wait to see this come together. Keep us posted and thanks for starting a build thread for it!

I've never heard of Stax Rocks and now I want them! I think your dimensions are gorgeous by the way. My tank is 48x18x30. It's wonderful.Keep us posted on the progress!

Well after much consideration I have decided not to use my AI Prime HDs on the new 212. I love the app control but thats where the love story ends. I have 4 of these running on 3 tanks and have had to send 3 of the 4 in for repair at less than a year old. AI does not answer the phone, but do pretty fast repair or replacement of the lights. Ive decided to go with something with more PAR so I can have a few sps. I read and watched videos on the Chinese LEDs and decided to give them a shot as alot of reefers are having good success with them and the price is incredible.  I chose to go with  4 Viperspectra 165 watt fixtures on this 8 ft. tank. Blue and white channel control is all I need  along with timers for each channel. These lights also have only one power cord as opposed to two like most chinese lights. American customer service and three year warranty. At full brightView attachment 3623                                                                                                                                                                                       Now, I dont like wire mounts from ceilings or walls and dont want to stay awake at night worrying if my lights are going to fall into the water. So for these lights I want a mounting system that: 1. Is mounted to the stand so load bearing is there. 2. adjustable so lights can be positioned anywhere from 8 to 12 inches above waterline, with the ability to position higher if needed to work in tank. 3. Safety to prevent lights from ever falling below 8 inches above water line. 4. ability to hide power cords 5. not impede powerhead placement. Stay tuned, I think I have the solution.