Corals for my planned SH tank

I usually am in the "newbies" forum, but I felt this question would be best served here.......I am planning a SH tank for next Spring...I have narrowed the field as to which corals I can put in the tank....now I could use some info as to what these corals eat.....can they thrive on just microorganisms in the water and algae? Can someone help me streamline my search? I won't have the time to dedicate to direct feeding them every day along with the ponies......certainly there are some that are virtually "maintenance free". Thoughts??????

here is a good place to start.

http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/tankmates/tankmates.shtml

I have a nice sun coral in my SH tank. Target feed it frozen mysis once a week (sometimes more, sometimes less) and it seems to do fine.

Also softies like Kenya trees and mushrooms would be low maint.

I already went to the Seahorse.org website......that library is awesome......yet I still like to hear from people who are currently keeping corals with ponies so that I can get their perspective. I can reach a better decision that way....lookied at wet web media yesterday......simply put, I cannot get too much information......

I don't want to occupy 80% of the tank space with things, but I want it to look really nice and colorful....providing a great environment for the seahorses......mainly I am researching which corals don't need me to feed them every day.....hopefully they don't all need personalized attention and feeding every day........if I can work it in with the feeding of the ponies ( like the Sun Coral that Cabo mentioned ) then no worries. I just don't want to have to come up with a different menu item for each one!

I had leathers, mushrooms, kenya and ricordeas in my seahorse tank. I never had much luck with gorgonians -Ithink they need better flow than in most seahorse tanks. I also kept a variety of macros. I've attached a picture of my former tank setup.

I tried gorgonias in my SH tank but they needed more flow than the seahorses could handle. Here is a pic of my old SH tank...Maybe you can spot some corals for ideas. Although mine was pretty simple.

2u57328.jpg
alt="">
293yb8h.jpg
alt="">

You can basically keep any soft corals, no LPS, and no SPS. LPS sting, and have sweepers, and SPS require too high a flow for a seahorse tank. Any gobies, blennies, and a few dartfish types can be kept with them. Jawfish too, if you can keep a gentle flow evenly through the tank you won't have problems with cyano either. A healthy fuge will keep nitrates down as well as a DSB. Just remember the light requirements for your corals. Photosynthetic gorgonians are okay, which are corky ones, and ones with brown, or dark polyps. White polyps mean they require higher flows and target feeding. G'luck and post photos when you get the new ponies!

I will add a few of my two previous seahorse tanks when I get back home. I am soon expecting a new herd in a tank I've been 'working' on for too long.

Branching SPS are not a good choice. Either the SPS stings the seahorse or the SPS RTN's from the seahorse attaching to it.

I have some encrusting monit that does well.
I have LPS with mine, but I avoided those with really long tentacles like galaxy, frog spawn, torch etc.
LPS: mircomussa, acan, blasto, brains, chalices - I have not had any issues with these and seahorses.
Ricordias, sponge, gregorians, zoos, are good with seahorses.

Picture004.jpg
alt="">

70g Tall with yellow toadstool, halamedia macro, kenya tree, xenia, texas trash polyps, mushrooms, ricordea, pulsing sinulara, finger leathers, zoanthids, sun coral, both black and yellow, some seagrass in the sandbed, and encrusting montipora, and digitata.

Picture007.jpg
alt="">

20g This is why I upgraded to the 70g! :D Cabbage leather I think is one I left out you can see in this photo, and a big sponge. More types of seagrass.

Anyhow GL with your new setup!