Corals Changing Color

Malefactor

Membership Expired
So, new question. How common is it for corals to change colors and what causes it? Examples...

I had a Lobophyllia frag that i got and it had purple edges with a lighter purple / bluish center of it's mazes. Now it's more of a rust red/brown on it's edges with an even lighter purple center area...

Same thing with a Favia. Bought it from a member here and it was light green edges with white center. It's growing and even has a few more eyes. The eyes are still white, but the edges have gone from green to that rust red/brown as well. Some of the edges on that one are still green, but the majority of it has turned that red/brown color.

I've also heard of people forcing their corals to change color to get more exotic colors ect. Something about someone making a comment that some people use electricity and other modification to change colors and morph them... How is this done and what other things would change their colors?

I have the usual stray voltage from powerheads in my tank since i don't have a grounding probe (should i get one) it's not enough to shock me, but i can feel a slight "tingle" in the tips of my fingers if i let them just rest on the surface of the water. If i actually stick my hand in the tank, i don't feel anything which is why i know it's just the stray voltage from the powerhead magnets turning and not an actual live wire somewhere in the tank. That's something you can't mistake. Would that little bit of current be enough to change a corals color and if so, anyone know how?

What are your lights usually its not enough blue spectrum. My lights I had were a lot of red. I ran the blues longer and the color came back. Lighting spectrum is what i have generally noticed change the color

I've got a mix of strong 6500K and medium 10000K lighting with a little actinic blue for support. The blue is enough to light the tank with a glow when it's the only thing on. But primarily the Cool Whites are what i have. I know i need a little better lights, but can't do them yet.

12 hrs a day. Dont have dimmers for them

The blues a little longer. Hr or two extra, but theyre basically RB moon lights. Just 8 1w RB

Might be too long idk play with it a little. I run my blues for about 2 hours before the whites come on then whites on for 5 then blues 2 hours before lights out. Try it different run patterns for a week or two at a time see what works. A great example me and my buddy got a frag split in half by a guy(chalice) he had alot more blue than I had and his frag turn more neon orange and mine turned more orange/red.

With my work schedule, until i get an arduino and my blues that im supposed to have, its the best i can do. I set them on before i go to work and turn them off about an hr or two after i get home (want time to enjoy the veiw before lights out myself)

Conditions, light durationintensityspectrum (suspect the last one, haven't tried). SPS in particular takes all sorts of colors (red planet looking green, $500 efflo being brown, purple, green, or white depending). My blue ricordea go between pale blue, medium to dark blue, and a solid blue/purple color depending on lighting.

For your work schedule you may just try shifting your timers. My tank thinks 11:00 AM is sunrise and 10:45 PM is sunset (although sudden as no dimmers). My freshwater tanks run noon to 10PM. All of those rooms get plenty of natural light, but it doesn't seem to cause any issues being offset like that. This gives me plenty of viewing time in the evening, with the only downside being loss of viewing on Saturday and Sunday morning.

well, for the past couple of days i've done some switching around. Mainly, i'm not running the 10000K anymore. All i have now is the 6500K Cree XM-L2 and a Finnex FugeRay+ (6500K with red / royal blue accents). I've noticed FAR more color under these when actinics are on. My mushroom has brightened up quite a bit more, and my Torch is now looking like it was described to me with an orange base to yellow tips "flame" torch. As well, my zoa's and trachyphyllia are a much deeper orange (should be red and look red under normal lighting, but a deep deep orange under actinics).

It also looks like my Anemone that scared me that it was dying is starting to pick back up a little more and has a lot more pink on it's tips, but not the base of it's tentacles anymore yet. So, it appears to be making a good recovery after every other day feedings (stepped up from once a week).