Convert fresh water to salt water - Plan to change fresh water to salt water

[Hi:
I am planning to convert my 175 reef ready (oceanic bow front) fresh water to salt water. I did some research on the protein skimmer and light features. However, I'm still not sure which product should i get in order to fix my pockets.

Here are the suggestions from pet stores:

Protein Skimmer: 1- ASM G3 series protein skimmer.
Light: 3 Metal halide bulbs.

I think a ASM - G3 series is fixed perfectly in my 70 gallons SUMP and my budget.
However, the metal halide bulds need to be hang on the ceiling because my canopy can't handle them. I don't like that idea, because my wife will not happy with it.

Is there any other way fix all the lights in the canopy with the same capacity of metal halide?

Please helps.

Thanks ???]

[I recently put a G3 on my 200 and love it.

How tall is your canopy? You should be able to mount them in the canopy but depending on how tall it is you must watch the wattage you use.
175 - 250 or 400.

Lane]

[Hi Lance:

Thank you for you reply.

I am happy to hear that the G3 protein skimmer works great for you. I think it will work for me too :).

I don't have a canopy yet. However, I think it is around 10 to 12 inches tall. A problem with the 175 bow front canopy is very weak. It is made by plastic. I don't think it can handle with the metal hadile in it. Some peoples suggests that, i should consider the T5 lights. But I don't know it will work for coral.

Do you have any suggestions? Please let me know.

Thanks
-Hung]

[So I also have an Oceanic bow front tank, and I too would like to find some alternative hood to replace the plastic one they provide. Anybody know any carpentry place that can do curved wood for a bow fornt hood, or stand?]

[Masta:

What type of lights you are using now?
My concern is the plastic canopy may catch fire. Also, it so weak to hand the metal halide. I'm think to hand from the ceiling? what do you think?

Thanks]

[Hungtien,
If you wait a while, you should be able to pick up a halide setup for a good price. Depending on what kelvin rating bulb you use, you may not even need an actinic supplement. Bulbs range from 10k (white) to 20k (very blue). Corals usually have a faster rate of growth with whiter bulbs, but the bluer bulbs are nicer to look at.]

[You may have to build your own bow front canopy that can hold those lights. Fortunately, MH bulbs, brackets and reflectors aren't that heavy, but the heat might be an issue with a plastic canopy.

On ReefCentral.com, there is a DIY forum and many people have posted bowfront canopies they made over the years. Hopefully this link will work for you:

Bowfront Canopy Search]