Clowns have brook. Looking for Formalin.

glenns30

Membership Expired
My maroon clowns appear to have come down with Brook. I discovered it Friday night. I didn't have Formalin, but did have Rid-Ich+. The bottle says it contains Fromalin. So I gave them a bath. They seemed to be doing better. Saturday, I was about to buy a bottle of Formalin, but the LFS talked me out of it. Saying the Formalin may be to harsh and continue with Rid-Ich+. I've been giving them 30 minute baths with Rid-Ich+, but it looks like they still have it. So does anyone know where I can pick up a bottle of Formalin tonight?

Seachem makes a product called "Para Guard" that they claim is a safe alternative to formalin. If you need some, you can have some of the bottle that I have. I do not know if it is effective, or not.

David

@DFW wrote:
Seachem makes a product called "Para Guard" that they claim is a safe alternative to formalin. If you need some said:
Thanks, but I don't think it will work. And today much of his tail has vanished. None of the big box pet stores show to carry Formalin on their website. I guess he will be dead before I can get some tomorrow.

@bimmerzs wrote:
It's worth a try and is better than the useless ick concoction you tried. said:
Thanks, but everything I've read said Formalin is what is needed. Paraguard has no Formalin. Rid Ich+ contains 15% formalin. 1tsp /10 gal is 15ppm of Formalin. At 1gal that would be 150ppm. Since I have nothing else to lose, I'm trying 6.6tsp for 15min. That should give me 1000ppm of Formalin. Tomorrow, the LFS will be open, and if he is still alive, I can get the pure Formalin.

Ok.... it sounded like you were just going to watch it die and not try to do anything and are you absolutely sure it's brook? Keep in mind that the standard formalin solution is 37% by volume, treatment is in the neighborhood of 1 ounce per 5 gallons. You will have to use a lot of that stuff since the formalin concentration is not mentioned on the bottle. Brook in a very quick acting killer so it is important to start treatment asap. Good luck and hope your clown pulls thru, here are the formalin concentrations of a few product's, you will see that the Kordon brand seems to have a low concentration of formalin so it is not an effective method to treat brook in the sense that the required amount is unknown.

Formalin 3: 3% Formalin Soln. (Kordon Corp.)
Paracide F: 37% Formalin (Argent Labs)
Formalite: Malachite and Formaldehyde (Aquatronics)
QuickCure: Formalin & Malachite (Aquarium Products)
Rid-Ich +: Formalin and Malachite Green (Kordon Corp.)

Rid-Ich + Specifications: Contains formaldehyde (11.52% formalin) U.S. P. grade 4.26% and premium quality aquaculture-grade zinc-free chloride salt of malachite green 0.038%. The ingredients meet United States Pharmacopoeia science-based quality standards for health care. The U.S. P. is the official public standards-setting authority for all prescriptions and over-the-counter medicines and other healthcare products. Standard Dosage Use 10 drops per gallon said:
I'm not sure how you calculated a 15% concentration from what's listed, they use fuzzy math so the concentrations are wayyy less that you think since true 37% concentration formaldahyde is usually kept in a glass container.

Formaldehyde is a gas. It is readily soluble in water up to 55% and is commercially available to us as 37% said:
Just saying...you would need a lot of that stuff to make any kind of impact so you cannot overdose with what you have. I hope your clown can hold on till tomorrow.

Cheers,

I live in ft worth near the 287 and the 35 w.
You are very welcome to swing by the house this morning wife will give it to you. (Formalin that is [smilie=smile.gif] )
I found it at the store over by ridgemar mall it was the only one she had.
Steve
817-239-7152

Thanks Everyone.
During lunch, I picked up Formalin 3 by Koradon, from the LFS. From Kordon's website, it looks like it will take 10tsp to reach 1000ppm I hope this works. But this 4oz bottle will only treat 2.4 baths.

If this cures the fish, what keeps it from getting the disease again from the QT water?

Ron, I used the calculation from their website. "Standard Dosage
Use 10 drops per gallon, or 1 teaspoon (approximately 5 ml) per 10 gallons of water, or 4 ounces for 240 gallons of water. This standard dosage produces a concentration of 15 ppm (= 15 mgL) formalin and 0.05 ppm of malachite green. "

@glenns30 wrote:
Thanks Everyone. During lunch said:
You are doing this in a quarantine tank, not your main system right?

Marc, it is my QT tank, but all my fish are in that tank right now. So, I'm just giving the clowns a 15minute dip.