Closed loop advise

[Since i am ordering this 180RR Oceanic tank, i am in the position to have holes drilled for closed loop, worth the $ or should i just stick with pvc.
If drilling where would you suggest the holes be placed?
72 x 24 x24 with dual overflows
Thanks,
Kevin]

Edited By chevytrks on 1111434961

[Hi Kevin,

Depends. Are you going to have a canopy on it or will it have a pendant lighting. If so you probably don't want the pvc showing.
I have a canopy that hides the pvc. I personally didn't drill holes for the closed loop since I didn't know exactly how I was going to situtate it.
I didn't even drill a hole for the return. The only hole I have is for the overflow (my hole is at the top so I just use a riser tube with a guard) to the sump.]

[If you drill, I'd suggest you put the closed loop holes in the upper third of the tank. That way if one of them leaks for some reason, 2/3 of your tank stays wet.]

[How much are they going to charge you per hole?

I would say go ahead and drill assuming it is not outragious. I would drill 3 holes. 1 input and 2 outputs. Make the input larger then the outputs (Maybe 1.5" in and 1" out) If you go with a 4 way or something you can run 2 there and 2 over the top.

Also if you end up going with Tunze or something instead you can always just cap them off with ball valves on the back like Marc currently has. I would rather have it drilled and not use it then wish I had drilled it!

I would put the input in the center and the outputs nearer the edges. You may want to "map out" your aquascaping and then plan your outputs that way. If you have islands or somethign you probably don't want an output blowing straght into the back of it. Stuff like that!]

[I would drill just as kwl1763 suggested. You can always cap, but you'll only kick yourself if you need or want those holes once filled.

Just a tip, be VERY specific on the hole size you need for the bulkhead you are going to utilize. I asked for holes to be drilled in my current tank for a 1.5" bulkhead . Instead I got a hole that was 1.5". You see bulkheads require a much larger hole than the actual flow-through deminsions. Now I'm stuck with three cheap 3/4" bulkheads because they are the only ones that will fit a 1.5" hole. Lesson learned, so be specific!! :)

My suggestion would be to find some nice, sturdy, rock solid bulkheads and drill to that specific size. They may cost abit more, but you'll sleep alot more soundly at night...trust me. I've already gone through several leaks, replacements and headaches with the cheapo black plastic ones you get locally like these.

I would recommend something more like this, or here and click on Tank Fittings. Just like Marc mentioned, if a bulkhead fails you are either going to have to drain or your tank is going to empty itself to that level.

My details to maybe spur some thought...
The way I had mine drilled was based on the predetermined rockwork that I wanted. So, my returns are equally spaced 3" from the top of the tank across the back between the overflow and opposite side. The intake hole was drilled directly beneath the right side's return low enough to be concealed by rockwork. This gives a clean look and all you see are the returns.

The intake has a 90 so the strainer is parallel to the back glass. This gave me more room to move the rockwork closer to the back of the tank and still be able to access it for cleaning.

If you have any questions feel free to drop me a PM or post up!]

Edited By Modo on 1111447351

[You should consider getting Schedule 80 bulkheads if you want to never worry. They are made to last, compared to the others one Kurt was griping about. Schedule 80 are thicker, and the hole will have to be bigger to allow them to fit.]

[Elliot's in Grapevine had high quality bulkheads. The other stores should as well. They are NOT standard drilled aquarium hole sizes. If you want to use them you will need a hole drilled to the bulkhead's spec. They are super nice though, big bulky solid sealers.]

[Guys,

Thank you so much for your golden advices. I am planning closed loop for my 180 gal room divider myself. What about silicon brand? I would really appreciate all suggestions. This will save alot of work and worriness.]