Clicking, knocking noises

I hear fairly loud clicking or knocking noises coming from my tank every now and then and am trying to figure out the source. At first I thought it was the wood stand or tank settling or expanding from temperature changes or something. Then I saw a hermit crab fall from some high rocks and knock into the tank glass on the way and thought that was the source of the noises. But now I'm pretty certain its neither. The noises are fairly loud and sharp and really sound like someone tapping on the glass with a hard object. I've read somewhere pistol shrimp will make these type of noises, but I can't imagine they're capable of noise this loud and sharp. I'd think the water would muffle the sound somewhat. Is there any way to tell if I have a pistol shrimp or two that hitchhiked in somehow?

Sounds like a Pistol or mantis shrimp. you shoudl normally hear the noise after your lights go out from what I've gathered by other's past stories

I have a Clarkii clown that will tap the glass really fast with her mouth. Sounds like me tapping the glass with a snails shell - tic,tic,tic,tic. Seems she does it to keep the male in check.

Just my experience.

@Firewolf4 wrote:
Sounds like a Pistol or mantis shrimp. you shoudl normally hear the noise after your lights go out from what I've gathered by other's past stories said:
I agree. We had one when we first setup our 75 gal where the live rock came from Tampa, Fl. To remove you first need to find the rock where he lives and remove if possible. They are very fast swimmers and smart as well. He will know that you are coming after him making it more difficult to catch. You will also want to be very careful as they can slice you finger open with their claw. The thing to look for using a flash light is his eyes peeping from the rocks.

Good luck.

I can hear my pistol shrimp from across the room with the TV on. Its a very distinct loud, pop.

Mark

I have heard stories of mantis shrimp breaking glass so they could easily make the noise. I had a pistol shrimp and you can definately hear it. Snap you fingers as loud as you can and that is what I could hear from 6-8 feet away so if you have a hitchiker pistol or mantis then that could be it.

It's probably a pistol shrimp. I have one; my bedroom is one wall over from the fishroom and with the TV on I still hear it snapping.