Chrissreef's - 280 A.G.E. Treasure Chest (60x36x30)

Hi all, I posted this on RC but I'd like to keep a log here as well. For those that don't know me... I was a DFWMAS member '96-99 and recently returned to Dallas =) I have to say in advance that I apologize for not attending many meetings - things have been hectic, that's my only sad excuse =(

I’ve frequented RC over the last few years off and on and have thoroughly enjoyed looking at everyone’s tanks and seeing the hobby evolve. I have since graduated from high school, college, graduate school, lived in two states and gotten engaged! I hope you all enjoy the story of my tank and hobby as much as I will!

My story: As a diver for 18 yrs now and an environmentalist, I’ve come to greatly appreciate and respect the planet we all share. One Saturday I was “bored” and thought I’d take a drive to all the lfs’s in the area, including the one I worked at in high school. I checked out Melev’s website and found stores in the Dallas area. At my third stop I came to an empty building – apparently the fish store had burned down a few months earlier and was about a month away from re-opening… I was offered a part time job on the weekend! (I already work 8-5 m-f elsewhere). I thought this would be a good opportunity to “get my feet wet” without actually having to get into the hobby ($$) and was urged to jump in by my fiancée.

This soon changed and I ordered a 280 gallon A.G.E. Starfire aquarium! (60x36x30) After looking at the support of my apartment complex, I became nervous (4k lbs) and thought we probably shouldn’t live on the second floor! We quickly moved downstairs to a larger apartment (housing is too much $$, especially with wedding/aquarium planning and college debt payments going on) .

My responsible environmental side of course kicked in – we changed over to 100% wind electricity, I set up my first quarantine tank (avoid unnecessary losses), will utilize low wattage pumps (Tunze/ReeFlo) and I have pledged to purchase 100% aquacultured (not maricultured) SPS, 50% aquacultured Fish (ORA, Rod, Sustainable Aquatics, other?) and will use caution on any LPS aquacultured “claims” but will purchase what I can find. I was not able to find “branchy” aquacultured liverock unfortunately. I also didn’t want the tank to be “to big” and so felt the ~300g size was neither too big, nor too small.

Tank:
- 60x36x30 A.G.E. Starboard base, 1/2” Starfire front/sides, acrylic euro bracing, angled overflows, mirror back (I really enjoy mirror backs, they can often make the tank look twice as deep) I also went with these dimensions because I enjoy cube and “tall” tanks… I may have trouble with the depth and my arms but I’m hoping the view will be worth it.
- Bare bottom (yellow polyps, green star polyps, zoa’s and SPS stags to grow up from base
- 2x 400w Reeflux w/ Lumenbright large reflectors (high to avoid needing a chiller)
- ReeFlo Orca 250 skimmer, Octopus dual chamber Ca Reactor, Aqua Controller 3, ReeFlo Dart return
- 2x Tunze 6101, 7095 controller and still thinking on either 2x 6055 or 2x 6101 – will see based on rock layout
- Sump will have separated Chaeto, DSB, rubble areas (maybe miracle mud too)

alt="">

I’d like to give special thanks to the following; they’ve provided enormous help in helping me get this dream tank up and running!

Dallas Fort Worth Marine Aquarium Society members
Reef Specialty
Zoanuts
Oceaninabox

Hi Chris,

Glad to hear you finally got your tank, AGE makes an impressive product. I am curious about your choice of a mirrored back, until the back is covered with coralline won't that stress the fish, as they try to constantly fight themselves.

Cheers,

Welcome back!

You are definitely off to a great start. Sometimes I think about tearing down my tank and starting over. But that's a LOT of work. If I move, I may tackle the rebuild/replace at that time.

Keep us posted on your progress. Your tank will be a great addition to the tank build threads around.

At 8 weeks and 2 days the tank FINALLY finished cycling. I had intended to turn the lights on a few hours each day for the last few weeks – but when I turned them on around the 4th week the water turned green. I decided to avoid algae and just left the lights off until the cycle was done.

When Nitrites were on the downswing I added 6” of sand to the empty fuge and added Chaeto to the other part of the fuge. I installed 2 T5’s here which for the time being I am keeping on 24/7 to grow the chaeto. I may also grow frags in the fuge since it’s literally set up perfectly for this.

I have not seen a single amphiopod, starfish or worm in the tank… since the rock was Tonga Fushion it has quite a bit less holes compared to other rock and is relatively "clean". The hard cycle probably also contributed to the lack of population right now. (or at least that’s my guess since I’m used to seeing at least a few critters somewhere at this point after setting up a tank – I’ve never “cooked” rock before however.

I also set up the calcium reactor – I love the design… but I’m not happy with the bubble counter. I see a lot of other Ca reactors with this style bubble counter so I may have set it up wrong. Basically I got saltwater into the bubble counter and I don’t know how to keep it from coming back in.

The Reeflo 250 has been rocking – I’m having trouble getting “wet” foam no matter what I do. The bioload may still be too small at this point.

Temp - I'm cycling between 80-83.3 with 3 fans blowing accross the surface of the water. Apartment thermostat is set at 80... I'm playing around with the AC now and looking at chillers. TX just gets too hot! =(

Tank - my wife/fiancee now thinks it's too small and that I need a bigger tank =P

Mirror - the fish haven't noticed/fought with themselves yet. I've never seen a fish fight with a mirror in one of my tanks, I'm not really sure why.

Tunze 7095 wavemaker, AC3, UPC are also all set up.

Finally, I had a 55g QT tank with all my fish in it. Exactly 1 week before the tank was cycled everyone stopped eating and started acting lethargic. The pyramid butterfly was breathing heavy so I moved him to a 30g QT I also had set up. I couldn’t figure out what was wrong. I lost the pyramid, the next day the tank finished cycling so I put everyone in it and crossed my fingers. I lost the Achilles the first night (he was doing GREAT in the QT for 6+ weeks), the large Blue and Spotted Cheek tangs didn’t eat for almost 2 days in the reef so I was really confused. Everyone finally started eating again 2 days later. I also lost a small blue tang in the 55. No idea – his right fin stopped working or something and he kept going in circles.

Aussie Elegance (skeptical – but he’s been at the LFS for weeks in a terrible spot – but looking good)
Aussie Hammer

Zoa frags and monti caps – once everyone shows growth I’ll move other corals over that my friend is currently holding onto.

Question: The current just seems VERY strong for the two LPS. I lowered the flow to 50% but it still looks like a bit much. Anyone have suggestions for powerhead location? These work quite a bit differently than the MJ1200’s I’m used to.

P1010275bc.jpg
alt="">

P1010276bc.jpg
alt="">

P1010281c.jpg
alt="">

you dont use saltwater in the bubble counter...either ro water or bubble counter fluid.

Tank looks great...Any plans on skinning the stand if not i would definetly stain the wood to seal from humidity and salt water

aye... I put RO water in but no matter how I installed it, salt water kept coming in. I think I'll eventually just make an external bubble counter that's easy to service/refill.

aye, skinning the stand will probably come after I stock the tank somewhat first =) I did seal the wood though... I spill 5x more water than the average person =P

Hi Chris,
Your tank is looking great, I love the aquascaping. Seems like you put a nice load on your tank rather quickly with the fish but looks like your bacteria was able to keep up . Archilles are kinda touchy and really like established pristine systems, they don't like a lot of changes so try again after your tank settles in.

Cheers,

Looking nice... on your pods etc. Did you seed your fuge with them or get Cheato etc that had them in it? If so, they will eventually make their way up to the display. The worms probably died with the cooking though, so you might consider getting some from Inland Aquatics or IPSF, or pickup some LR from a LFS or member to seed. They reproduce fairly quickly.

On the flow.. yoru hammer and elegance do seem a bit pulled in. That elegance should be all over the place. I'd suggest the front corner tunzes go side to side across the tank instead of diag and or place them down on the bottom protect by a rock in one of the cubby's like right below the elegance and to the left of the round rock on the right side of the tank, place to the left of it.

If that elegance wasn't housed with any Indo ones anywhere in shipment or holding, you should be happy with it. They really do have a good survival rate.

Dave - thanks for the comments. The chaeto didn't really have any pods so I'll likely have to figure out a way to introduce at least a small population at some point. Thanks for the sources =)

aye, both are a little pulled in. The hammer seems fine, the elegance is a bit more irritated. I reduced the current and may move the powerheads as you suggested... but I think lighting is a huge factor with him right now. He got minimal lighting at the lfs (actnics) and virtually no current in the tank. My tank he's getting hit with 400w MH and medium current. He hasn't melted yet and opens a little more each day but I feel at this point I need to watch him closely every day.